- Premium herbal supplement featuring licorice root extract alongside ashwagandha, rehmannia, and chinese yam root extract.
- 500 mg dosage of licorice root extract per 2 tablet serving.
- 60 tablets.
- Designed to support cortisol metabolism.
- May also provide antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory support.
A Brief Overview of Licorice Root and its Benefits
Licorice is one of the oldest and most common ingredients used for nutritional health support. Derived from a plant called Glycyrrhiza glabra, licorice extract was used as a cure-all in early Egyptian cultures. It was then imported to China where it became one of the most important components of Chinese herbal medicine.
Licorice root may not be a cure-all, but it certain does have a powerful impact on multiple bodily systems and functions. Its nutritional properties have been carefully scrutinized by modern science and many potential benefits have been uncovered. The largest bodies of evidence seem to point to the flavonoids contained in licorice root providing antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory support.1,2
Licorice and Cortisol
While the above roles of licorice root have been widely documented, less is understood and readily broadcasted about the relationship between licorice and cortisol.
First, let’s quickly overview cortisol and its role in the human body. It is produced in the adrenal gland and released in response to stress and low blood-glucose concentrations. As such, cortisol is essential to a healthy body. However, too much cortisol can cause some serious issues related to metabolism, bone density, and the immune system.
It is highly important to have balanced cortisol levels: not too much, not too little. This is where licorice root comes in. By inhibiting certain enzymes which are integral to the conversion of cortisol to cortisone, licorice root actually raises cortisol levels.3
For many people, increased cortisol is not quite what the doctor ordered. Indeed, this is the reason why too much licorice extract can have serious negative health effects in certain individuals. However, for those with good reason to believe (preferably due to instructions from their doctor or other healthcare professionals) that they have a deficiency in cortisol, may find nutritional benefits from the consumption of licorice root extract.
Note: This product is Gluten Free and Vegetarian.
Storage: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place.
Caution: Do not exceed 600 mg of glycyrrhizic acid daily.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.