Metagenics FolaPro utilizes Metafolin, a metabolically active form of folate called L-5-methyl tetrahydrofolate (L-5-MTHF), which the body can distribute more efficiently so we receive all the benefits folate has to offer. This product is Gluten Free and Vegetarian.
- Provides L-5-MTHF, a metabolically active form of folate, helping to ensure all of the critical benefits of folate nutrition are realized.
- Requires no additional metabolic steps to be utilized by the body, making it a preferred choice for many individuals.
- Nutritionally supports many metabolic processes, including hormone metabolism, DNA synthesis, homocysteine metabolism, and nervous system function.
Why Your Body Needs Folate
Folate helps produce and maintain new cells. This is especially important during periods of rapid cell division and growth such as infancy and pregnancy. Folate is needed to make DNA and RNA, the building blocks of cells. It also helps prevent changes to DNA that may lead to cancer. Both adults and children need folate to make normal red blood cells and prevent anemia. Folate is also essential for the metabolism of homocysteine, and helps maintain normal levels of this amino acid.
Medical conditions that require additional folate include:
- pregnancy and lactation (breastfeeding)
- alcohol abuse
- kidney dialysis
- liver disease
- certain anemias
Medications that can hamper folate utilization include:
- anticonvulsant medications (such as dilantin, phenytoin and primidone)
- metformin (sometimes prescribed to control blood sugar in type 2 diabetes)
- sulfasalazine (used to control inflammation associated with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis)
- triamterene (a diuretic)
- methotrexate (used for cancer and other diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis)
- barbiturates (used as sedatives)
Common signs and symptoms of folate deficiency include:
- Folate deficient women who become pregnant are at greater risk of giving birth to low birth weight, premature, and/or infants with neural tube defects.
- In infants and children, folate deficiency can slow overall growth rate.
- In adults, a particular type of anemia can result from long term folate deficiency.
- Other signs of folate deficiency are often subtle. Digestive disorders such as diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss can occur, as can weakness, sore tongue, headaches, heart palpitations, irritability, forgetfulness, and behavioral disorders. An elevated level of homocysteine in the blood, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, also can result from folate deficiency.
Serving Size: 1 Tablet
Servings Per Container: 120 (60)
Amount Per Serving
Folate (as L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate)
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid (vegetable), silica
Formulated to Exclude: Wheat, gluten, corn protein, soy, animal or dairy products, nuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, colors, artificial flavors, and preservatives. This product is Gluten Free and Vegetarian.
U.S. Patent Nos. 5,997,915; 6,254,904.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one tablet daily or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant or lactating, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.