Bromelain, a mixture of proteases extracted from the stem of the pineapple, has been used by Europeans to ease inflammation for many years. Bromelain’s fluid-regulating properties may result from its ability to effectively reduce inflammatory cytokine production, decrease neutrophil migration to sites of acute inflammation and support the specific removal of a number of cell surface inflammatory molecules. Research also showed that bromelain may help support healthy blood viscosity and blood platelet aggregation.20,21 A specially coated bromelain formulation has been well-studied for its ability to soothe minor injuries such as sprains22 and for speeding recovery time after surgery.23 In fact, Bromelain has been used in Germany since 1993 for easing sinus and nasal inflammation after surgery.
Bromelain has to be enteric coated so that it will not be activated in the stomach and used as a digestive enzyme. Enteric-coated bromelain tablets pass into the small intestine where they are absorbed into the bloodstream to provide systemic benefits.
Specially coated bromelain may significantly help inflammatory reactions in the joints. Results from research on subjects with discomfort in the knee area has demonstrated that enteric-coated bromelain formulations were at least as effective as other approaches in relieving joint tenderness and swelling and were better tolerated.24-26 One study even found that bromelain is more effective than other methods for maintaining joint function at rest (41% for bromelain versus 23% for other methods).26
Another study showed that specially coated bromelain yielded an overall improvement in general well-being, along with improvement in stiffness and physical function.25
Serving Size: 1 enteric coated tablet
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
Calcium (as calcium carbonate)
Bromelain proteolytic enzyme extract from pineapple (Ananas comosus) (stem) [2400 GDU per gram/5200 FIP per gram activity]
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, maltodextrin, croscarmellose sodium, stearic acid, silica, vegetable stearate, enteric coating (methacrylic acid copolymer dispersion NF, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, propylene glycol). Contains corn.
The bromelain powder used in this product has the strength of 2400 GDU (gelatin digestive units) per gram/5200 FIP (International Pharmaceutical Federation) units per gram. FIP value is verified by independent analysis with European reference standard
Dosage and Use:
- Take one enteric coated tablet 2 times daily on an empty stomach, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: If you are taking anti-coagulant or anti-platelet medications, or have a bleeding disorder, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product. Bromelain may increase the bioavailability of tetracycline antibiotics.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Bromelain reduces mild acute knee pain and improves well-being in a dose-dependent fashion in an open study of otherwise healthy adults.
2. NIH: Bromelain
20. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Mar;294(3):H1365-70.
21. Clin Immunol. 2008 Jul;128(1):66-74. Epub 2008 May 14.
22. Br J Sports Med. 2004 Aug;38(4):431-5.
23. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2001;68(1):45-9.
24. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2004 Dec;1(3):251-7.
25. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2006 Jan-Feb;24(1):25-30.
26. Clin Rheumatol. 2004 Oct;23(5):410-5.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.