The endothelium is the inner lining of the blood vessel that regulates arterial health. Maintaining its youthful integrity supports overall cardiovascular health as humans age.
Life Extension Endothelial Defense with GliSODin supplies standardized pomegranate and an orally active form of superoxide dismutase to support endothelial health. Both of these components (pomegranate, SOD) have been clinically shown to help with blood flow and age-related changes in endothelial function.2-8
- Pomegranate supports healthy blood flow. In a group of aging humans with risk factors for cardiovascular events, pomegranate or placebo was ingested on a daily basis. After 12 months, the mean intima media thickness improved 35% in the pomegranate group, whereas carotid blood flow worsened by 9% in the placebo group.2 Both groups continued taking conventionally prescribed medications. In another study on patients with ischemic coronary heart disease, pomegranate or placebo was ingested daily. After only three months, coronary artery blood flow improved by 17% in the pomegranate group, but worsened by 18% in the placebo group.3 A standardized pomegranate extract is one of the active components of Endothelial Defense.
- SOD protects against nitric oxide degradation. Aging results in a reduction of our body’s production of the critical antioxidant called superoxide dismutase (SOD). One consequence of SOD depletion is excess degradation of endothelial nitric oxide. An orally active superoxide dismutase called GliSODin® has been clinically shown to support healthy arterial function and structure while boosting levels of the body’s most powerful antioxidant enzymes (SOD and catalase).4-7 Studies show that carotid artery thickness increases by 0.04 mm every 10 years. However, a 2007 GliSODin® study suggested that 2.8 years of supplementation may turn back the clock on 10 years of age-related changes due to carotid artery wall thickening.6 Endothelial Defense™ contains the patented GliSODin® in the identical dose.
Serving Size: 2 Vegetarian Capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving
Superoxide Dismutase/Gliadin Complex (GliSODin®) [SOD (Superoxide Dismutase) Enzyme Activity = 500 IU]
POMELLA® Pomegranate (Punica granatum) Extract (fruit) [std. to 30% punicalagins (120 mg)]
Pomegranate (Punica granatum) 5:1 Extract (fruit)
Other Ingredients: maltodextrin, vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, silica, stearic acid.
POMELLA® Extract is covered under U.S. Patent 7,638,640 and POMELLA® is a registered trademark of Verdure Sciences, Inc.
Isocell SA, France is the owner of US Patents Nos. 6,045,809 and 6,426,068B1 and trademark of GliSODin®.
Dosage and Use:
- Take two capsules daily before breakfast, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Pomegranate juice consumption reduces oxidative stress, atherogenic modifications to LDL, and platelet aggregation: studies in humans and in atherosclerotic apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.
2. Clin Nutr. 2004 Jun;23(3):423-33.
3. Am J Cardiol. 2005 Sep 15;96(6):810-4.
4. Phytother Res. 2004 Dec;18(12):957-62.
5. Intensive Care Med. 2007 Apr;33(4):694-702.
6. Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007 Feb;39(2):45-50.
7. Free Radic Res. 2004 Sep;38(9):927-32.
8. Altern Med Rev. 2008 Jun;13(2):128-44.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
There are no reviews yet.