Although biochemistry is a big factor, our bodies are also affected by the things that happen to us in our lives. We’re all hit by unpleasant events that may cause brain levels of norepinephrine to fall temporarily. People with naturally large reserves usually get through the troubling times with minimal difficulties, but those with initially low chemical levels are more likely to be affected.
The Japanese have long known that L-theanine, an amino acid derived from green tea, is a natural relaxant that diminishes stress,18-21 without drowsiness, impaired thought, or other side effects.
L-theanine produces calming effects in the brain in ways that have been compared to meditation, massage, and aromatherapy. L-theanine induces relaxation without causing drowsiness. In fact, studies show that L-theanine enhances the brain’s ability to concentrate, learn, and remember.22-28 L-theanine increases GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), an inhibitory neurotransmitter that not only induces relaxation but also produces a sense of well-being.29 L-theanine may normalize levels of a critical brain hormone that is depleted by various stress factors.23,29,30
A Host of Health-Enhancing Benefits
Research shows that L-theanine has numerous health-enhancing effects, including promoting healthy cognitive function. In studies of neurons in cell culture, L-theanine reversed glutamate- or other neurotoxicant-induced neurotoxicity, a major cause of normal brain aging.19-30
Beware of Imitations: The L-theanine used in this supplement is Suntheanine®, the only pure form of L-theanine protected by 40 internationally recognized patents and scientifically proven in clinical studies to be safe and efficacious. Independent laboratory analysis has verified that certain other products on the market claiming to contain “L-theanine” are only half L-theanine, the other half being a different form of theanine known as “D-theanine” which has not been scientifically evaluated in published studies.
|Serving Size: 1 capsule |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving|
|Suntheanine® (L-Theanine)||100 mg|
|Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), ascorbyl palmitate.|
Suntheanine® is a registered trademark of Taiyo International, Inc. Use of Suntheanine® is protected by U.S. Trademark Reg. No. 2548957.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule one to four times daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. L-theanine, a natural constituent in tea, and its effect on mental state.
18. Biol Psychol. 2007 Jan;74(1):39-45.
19. Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 3, Issue 3, July 2011, Pages 171-178
20. Phytother Res. 2011 Nov;25(11):1636-9.
21.Trends Food Sci Technol 10 (1999), 199–204.
22. Biol Pharm Bull. 2002 Dec;25(12):1513-8.
23. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):21-30.
24. Biol Psychol. 2008 Feb;77(2):113-22.
25. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Dec 1;47(11):1601-10.
26. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004 Jul 16;320(1):116-22.
27. Neurotoxicology. 2008 Jul;29(4):656-62.
28. J Med Food. 2011 Apr;14(4):334-43.
29. Biological & Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 25, 1513e1518.
30. LWT – Food Science and Technology 46 (2012) 64e70
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.