Life Extension Super-Alpha Lipoic Acid with Biotin is a potent antioxidant. It enhances glutathione, promotes liver and nerve health, and has metal chelating properties. Replenishes vitamins C & E, CoQ10, and SOD. Creates energy from food and oxygen.
Used often in Europe, alpha lipoic acid is an antioxidant with demonstrated ability to promote liver and nerve health, and helps to fight off oxidation. Alpha-lipoic acid increases glutathione levels in cells currently within a healthy range, and boasts powerful antioxidant effects.125-127
Studies have shown that cellular oxidative deterioration, aggravated by free radicals, is responsible for many degenerative complications. Alpha-lipoic acid is so effective because it is able to destroy free radicals in both aqueous and lipid environments. It also has metal chelating ability, helping the body rid itself of accumulated ingested toxins.128-131
Among the most valuable benefits of alpha-lipoic acid is its capability to replenish other vital antioxidants including vitamins C and E, coenzyme Q10, and glutathione, and the actions of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx). The evidence is notably compelling for the capability of DHLA (dihydrolipoic acid, a lessened variety of alpha-lipoic acid) to reuse vitamin E. This is probably accomplished directly by destroying tocopherol radicals or indirectly by decreasing vitamin C or boosting the levels of ubiquinol (a derivative of CoQ10) and glutathione, that, in turn, helps replenish tissue levels of vitamin E.132,135-141
Serving Size: 1 capsule
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
Other Ingredients: rice flour, gelatin, vegetable stearate. Contains rice.
This product contains NO: milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or corn. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule in the morning and one capsule in the evening, preferably on an empty stomach, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Each capsule of Super Alpha-Lipoic Acid contains added biotin for enhanced absorbability.
Caution: Because this product may lower blood glucose, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product if you are taking glucose lowering medication.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Alpha lipoic acid: a new treatment for neuropathic pain in patients with diabetes?
2. Protective effect of alpha-lipoic acid against chloroquine-induced hepatotoxicity in rats.
124. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2002 Apr;959:491-507.
125. J Appl Physiol. 1999 Apr;86(4):1191-6.
126. Chem Biol Interact. 2006 Nov 7;163(3):192-8.
127. Nutrition. 2007 Jan;23(1):76-80.
128. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007 Oct;293(4):C1395-403.
129. Pharmacol Ther. 2007 Jan;113(1):154-64.
130. Toxicol Lett. 2005 Dec 30;160(1):1-7.
131. Chem Biol Interact. 2004 Apr 15;147(3):259-71.
132. Chem Biol Interact. 2001 Nov 28;138(2):189-98.
133. Neurochem Res. 2007 Sep;32(9):1552-8
134. Drug Metab Rev. 1998 May;30(2):245-75.
135. Free Radic Biol Med. 1997;22(1-2):359-78.
136. Free Radic Biol Med. 2001 Jul 1;31(1):53-61.
137. Z Naturforsch [C]. 1998 Mar-Apr;53(3-4):250-3.
138. Nutrition. 2001 Oct;17(10):888-95.
139. Gen Pharmacol. 1997 Sep;29(3):315-31.
140. Biochim Biophys Acta 1988 Dec 16;963(3):558-61
141. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1990 Jun 29;169(3):851-7.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.