Omega-6 fatty acids are well-supplied in the diet by meat and vegetable oils. However, not all omega-6 fatty acids are of equal value. Arachidonic acid (AA) tends to be unhealthy because it is the precursor of inflammatory eicosanoids – such as prostaglandin E2 (PGE2), thromboxane A2, and leukotriene B4 – which promote inflammation. In contrast, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), found in evening primrose oil, borage oil, and black currant oil, is an important fatty acid that plays a beneficial role in healthy prostaglandin (PGE1) formation and pro-inflammatory mediator reduction.31
Health-conscious people have been swallowing a lot of borage oil supplements to obtain GLA (gamma linolenic acid), the parent of the biologically active DGLA (dihomogamma linolenic acid).
Life Extension adds 10 mg of sesame lignans to each softgel of Mega GLA borage oil. Sesame lignans not only increase beneficial DGLA but they also prevent the conversion of GLA into the proinflammatory mediator arachidonic acid.70 Blocking this pathway decreases the formation of destructive proinflammatory agents prostaglandin E2 and leukotriene B4.71
Numerous studies document GLA’s multiple health effects. Enhancing this supplement with sesame lignans enables GLA to work much better in the body, allowing many more people with inflammatory-related problems to benefit from supplemental GLA.
Serving Size: 1 softgel
Servings Per Container: 30
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat
Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) [from borage oil (seed)]
Sesame seed (Sesamum indicum) lignan extract
Other Ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, silica, purified water, carob.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one (1) softgel one to two times daily with food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: If you are taking anti-coagulant or anti-platelet medications, or have a bleeding disorder, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
31. Przegl Lek. 2007;64(2):91-9.
70. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol [Tokyo]. 2003 Dec;49:442-6.
71. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 1998 Mar;58(3):185-91.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.