There have been many controlled studies on tryptophan. They suggest increased sleepiness, decreased sleep latency, and increased synthesis of serotonin and melatonin. Optimized Tryptophan Plus includes additional unique ingredients for maximum support.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter made in the brain from tryptophan. Serotonin has been associated with positive moods and restful sleep.1-4
To produce and maintain optimum serotonin levels, your body requires tryptophan, an essential amino acid, which means that your body cannot produce it.1 In the body, tryptophan has been shown to:
- Improve sleep3,4
- Enhance mood1,2,4
- Modulate stress5
Life Extension® offers Optimized Tryptophan Plus to broadly and powerfully support tryptophan levels already within the normal range. In addition to delivering an optimum intake of tryptophan itself – the Optimized Tryptophan Plus formula also provides a unique, balanced supply of other nutrients found to help maintain tryptophan activity in the body.6-8
Optimized Tryptophan Plus blends lysine, niacinamide, and extracts of hops and rosemary to provide nutritive support for the body’s production of serotonin.
Life Extension® Optimized Tryptophan Plus contains premium L-tryptophan which has undergone significantly more rigorous manufacturing processes than regular tryptophan material, to assure the highest purity and safety.
|Serving Size: 3 vegetarian capsules |
Servings Per Container: 30
|Amount Per Serving|
|Niacin (as niacinamide)||66 mg|
|L-Lysine (as L-Lysine HCl)||250 mg|
|Proprietary Tryptophan Plus Blend |
Perluxan® Hops Standardized Extract (Humulus lupulus) (cones) and Ursole™ Rosemary standardized Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis) (leaves)
|Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, maltodextrin, starch, carboxymethyl cellulose, vegetable stearate, silica.|
Perluxan® is used by permission.
Ursole is a trademark of Vitiva d. d., Slovenia.
Dosage and Use:
- Take up to three capsules all at once before bedtime, or one capsule on an empty stomach before each meal, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- For maximum absorption take with a small amount of carbohydrate, such as diluted juice.
- Best if taken separately from protein or amino acids.
Caution: Consult your healthcare provider before taking this product if you are taking prescription medications (e.g. MAOI and SSRI antidepressants) for depression. Concomitant use of L-tryptophan with antidepressant medications has the potential to increase the risk of serotonin syndrome, characterized by symptoms like confusion, sweating, agitation, nausea, involuntary muscle contractions, and racing heartbeat. Do not use L-tryptophan before driving or operating heavy machinery.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Int J Neurosci. 1992 Nov-Dec;67(1-4):127-44.
2. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2013 Feb 2. pii: S0959-4388(13)00027-5.
3. Prog Neurobiol. 2000 Jan;60(1):13-35.
4. J Nutr. 2012 Dec;142(12):2236S-2244S.
5. J Exp Biol. 2002 Dec;205(Pt 23):3679-87.
6. Available at: http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/bmiles/lectures/amcat.pdf. Accessed February 14, 2013.
7. Amino Acids. 2012 June 8.
8. J Clin Invest. 1999 April 15;103(8):1169–78.
9. MedlinePlus: Trytophan
10. Effects of L-tryptophan on sleepiness and on sleep.
11. Effect of orally administered L-tryptophan on serotonin, melatonin, and the innate immune response in the rat.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.