Benefits of Optimized Folate (L-Methylfolate)
- Supports cardiovascular health.
- Helps to support healthy nervous system function.
- 5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) is a more bioavailable form of folate (up to 7 X more bioavailable) for better absorption.
- 5-MTHF can cross the blood brain barrier, unlike folic acid, which makes it more supportive to cognitive function.
- May help to support those suffering from depression.
Folate plays a role in neurotransmitter synthesis and enzymatic reactions throughout the body. Folate benefits cardiovascular health and nervous system function. The type of folate that a person takes can make all the difference in how it is absorbed by the body. Research shows that in a large proportion of the population, genetic enzyme deficiencies prevent the conversion of folate to 5-MTHF, leaving many vulnerable to low blood folate levels (and higher than desired homocysteine). A more useful form of folate is to take the bioactive 5-MTHF directly, which eliminates the need for the conversion and it can then be readily absorbed into the body and used efficiently. Taking the bioactive form of folate increases the bioavailability by up to seven times in comparison to taking the folic acid form.3-10
Deficiencies in folic acid can cause many different health issues such as anemia, birth defects, tiredness, forgetfulness, trouble concentrating, and more. The body may not absorb enough folic acid if you drink alcohol, or take certain medications for cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and seizures.1
Some studies have shown that folate and vitamin B12 is often lacking in patients with major depression. Interesting enough, Hong Kong and Taiwan populations (with diets rich in folate) tend to have very low rates of major depression.2
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian tablet
Servings Per Container: 100
Amount Per Serving
Folate [as (6S)-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid, glucosamine salt]
Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, croscarmellose sodium, silica, vegetable stearate, stearic acid.
Quatrefolic is a registered trademark of Gnosis S.p.A., Patent number 7,947,662.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one (1) tablet daily with food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. WebMD Folic Acid Overview
2. The Link Between Depression and Low Levels of Folate
3. BMJ. 2004;328(7455):1535-6.
4. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Jul;84(1):156-61.
5. Br J Pharmacol. 2004 Mar;141(5):825-30.
6. Circulation. 1998 Jan 27;97(3):237-41.
7. N Engl J Med. 2002 Feb 14;346(7):476-83.
8. Nephrol Dial Transplant. May 2002;17(5):916-22.
9. Clin Chem. 2000 Aug;46(8 Pt 1):1065-71.
10. Metabolism. 2011 May;60(5):673-80.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.