Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter which plays many roles throughout the body. Deficiencies in serotonin are often associated with a number of health concerns stemming from the brain and central nervous system. These suppositories contain 5-HTP, a precursor to the formation of serotonin which is capable of passing through the blood-brain barrier.
- Contains 480 mg of serotonin precursor 5-HTP.
- 5-HTP is able to pass through the blood-brain barrier and support serotonin production in the brain.
- Also includes numerous B complex vitamins often used for nutritional brain health support.
- Suppository base provides much higher absorption rates than oral supplements.
- Suppositories can be shipped with ice to ensure preservation of shape and potency.
Serotonin and a Healthy Brain
Serotonin is a chemical and neurotransmitter found in high concentrations in the brain, bowels, and bloodstream. As a neurotransmitter, serotonin is thought to play a role in everything from muscle contraction to mood and stress regulation.
Because so much of the body’s supply of serotonin is made and contained in the brain, it is not entirely surprising that serotonin plays a pivotal role in multiple aspects of brain functionality. In fact, serotonin deficiencies are thought of as a possible contributor to multiple health concerns rooted in the brain and central nervous system such as high stress levels and difficulties with sleeping.1
Raising Serotonin Levels in the Brain
One difficulty with raising serotonin levels is that serotonin itself is incapable of passing through the blood brain-barrier (BBB). The BBB is a protective membrane which regulates what can or cannot pass from the blood into the brain. This means that any ingested serotonin is useless to the brain, even if it is able to reach the bloodstream in significant quantities.
These suppositories utilize 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), a chemical which is a precursor to the formation of serotonin.2 The most pivotal feature of 5-HTP is that it is capable of passing through the BBB.3 The 5-HTP in these suppositories is released directly to the blood through the porous tissues of the lower bowels. From there, it is able to be used for the production of serotonin in the brain. By assisting serotonin production, 5-HTP could play a supportive role in counteracting an identified serotonin deficiency in the brain.
Note: Storing this product at room temperature will not alter the effectiveness or potency. However a firm suppository is necessary for a comfortable and easy insertion. Therefore we recommend that this product be stored in the refrigerator to maintain firmness. If the suppository does become soft, place the suppository in the refrigerator to achieve the firmness needed for comfortable insertion Avoid excessive heat 40°C (104°F). Store in a cool place 8° to 15°C (46° to 59°F) or refrigerate. When using nutritional supplements or nutraceuticals, please inform your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition healthcare professional.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.