Zetpil Calcium and Magnesium Suppositories provide the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) levels of elemental calcium and magnesium in their most bioactive forms. Magnesium deficiency has an effect on the absorption and release of calcium – one of the most important minerals for the body. Suppository form ensures proper absorption of both crucial minerals.
- Provides RDA levels of highly absorbable calcium and magnesium.
- Calcium and magnesium suppositories are absorbed directly so they can support the body on a cellular level.
- Provides 80-85% absorption via suppository form, unlike oral supplements that degrade through digestion.
- Excellent supplement for those with sensitive digestion or poor absorption issues.
- Made with a superior suppository base consisting of a proprietary combination of plant and fruit butters.
- Suppositories can be shipped with ice to ensure preservation of shape and potency.
Why Calcium and Magnesium Should be Taken Together
Even though you do not need to take magnesium and calcium together in the same supplement to absorb calcium, the body needs magnesium to properly use or metabolize calcium. This has to do with what happens to calcium after it has been absorbed, not with calcium absorption itself.1
Magnesium plays many roles in human physiology, including calcium metabolism. Magnesium deficiency impairs secretion of PTH which increases absorption of calcium in the gut by activating vitamin D3. The PTH also triggers release of calcium from the bone when the blood levels of calcium fall too low to meet the body’s physiological calcium requirements. At the same time, activation of vitamin D3 requires magnesium, because the enzyme that catalyzes this activation needs magnesium to work most effectively.
Calcium is important for cellular functions, but excess calcium inside the cells can be harmful. Magnesium prevents excess calcium from accumulating inside cells. Interestingly, when cells contain too much calcium, the blood may not have enough. Even if you’re taking calcium supplements, without adequate intake of magnesium the body can still develop a calcium deficiency, and all of the health complications and imbalances which that might entail. Because of this and because of its own powerful nutritional benefits, the importance of magnesium supplementation cannot be overstated.2
The bottom line is that we need magnesium to make proper use of calcium. In fact, taking calcium supplements may increase the need for magnesium by increasing the proportional intake of calcium relative to magnesium. Many people, especially seniors, consume less than the recommended daily intake (RDI), as shown in nutritional surveys. Therefore when taking 1000 mg or more of elemental calcium via diet or calcium in supplements, as is widely recommended, without magnesium the calcium to magnesium ratio may become imbalanced and therefore magnesium is included to maintain the optimal ratio.3,4
Note: Storing this product at room temperature will not alter the effectiveness or potency. However a firm suppository is necessary for a comfortable and easy insertion. Therefore we recommend that this product be stored in the refrigerator to maintain firmness. If the suppository does become soft, place the suppository in the refrigerator to achieve the firmness needed for comfortable insertion Avoid excessive heat 40°C (104°F). Store in a cool place 8° to 15°C (46° to 59°F) or refrigerate. When using nutritional supplements or nutraceuticals, please inform your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition healthcare professional.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.