- 2000 mg of 100% N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine per serving.
- N-acetylglucosamine is a natural substance extracted from the shell of crustaceans.
- Unlike many other natural products, NAG is known for its inherent sweet flavor.
- Cartilage metabolism support may aid in long-term joint health.
- Does not interfere with glucose metabolism
- Free of additives, salts, preservatives, coloring agents, gluten, lactose or yeast.
- 30 servings per container.
N-Acetyl D-Glucosamine vs Glucosamine Sulfate
Glucosamine is a highly common supplemental ingredient for supporting healthy skin and joints. The supplement market is littered with products which feature this compound in its sulfate form, most typically alongside a similar compound known as Chondroitin. While these products may provide their own distinct advantages, and the synergistic relationship between Glucosamine and Chondroitin is well-documented, Ultimate Glucosamine from Wellesley Therapeutics is a very different supplement.
The first factor which distinguishes Ultimate Glucosamine from others is the form of Glucosamine which is used – N-Acetyl-D-Glucosamine (NAG). While NAG may share a lot of similarities with Glucosamine Sulfate, they are actually very different compounds with different potential effects and benefits within the human body.1
One study which compared their effects concluded that NAG “likely exhibits a potential effect on the cartilage metabolism at a lower dose (500–1,000 mg/day) compared with glucosamine (1,500 mg/day), based on the present and previous results”.2 Meanwhile, some studies indicate that Glucosamine Sulfate is more likely to have an anti-inflammatory effect on joints and other parts of the human body.3
Therefore, it may be discerned that Glucosamine Sulfate is best used to counter aches and pains in the joints, while NAG may be used to support cartilage metabolism in otherwise healthy individuals,4 thereby potentially reducing the risk of such aches and pains occurring in the first place.*
While the contrasting effects of these ingredients are still being untangled, what’s certain is that there are strong differences in the way the body processes them. This includes their uptake, as well as their subsequent effects on glucose transport, GLUT expression and SGAG and hyaluronan synthesis.5 As such, those who have failed to experience results from Glucosamine Sulfate may have a different experience from NAG supplementation.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
Ultimate Glucosamine is a registered US trademark of PurePharm Inc., Wellesley licensee. US patent pending.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.