- Features potent doses of folate (in the form of 5-Methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), and vitamin B12.
- Designed for optimal methylation and homocysteine balance support.
- May aid in cardiovascular health.
- Formulated to be free of allergens derived from: Gluten, corn, yeast, artificial colors and flavors.
- 60 natural vegetable capsules per container.
Methylation, Homocysteine & Human Health
DNA methylation occurs in all mammals. It is a multifaceted process with countless health ramifications, but it all boils down to this: methylation enables gene regulation and development by adding methyl groups to certain DNA molecules. Without DNA methylation, countless physiological systems and processes would malfunction, and the body would be more susceptible to the development of certain severe health concerns.1
Homocysteine is an amino acid which is released as a byproduct of methylation. Elevated homocysteine levels are associated with cardiovascular health risks.2 Thankfully, balanced DNA methylation and homocysteine levels have a lot in common. In particular, they both hinge upon the presence of B-complex vitamins in the body.
B-Complex Vitamins & Methylation
Folate (sometimes known as vitamin B9), riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), and vitamin B12 all have a role in methyl group metabolism and DNA methylation.3 They achieve this by serving as cofactors in enzymatic reactions which are integral to the methylation process.
It is widely thought that folate has the most direct effect on methylation. This is a reasonable conclusion to draw given the body of evidence which associates low folate levels with decreased DNA methylation.4 However, there is still much to be discovered about this relationship.
It is currently unclear if folate levels have a significant impact on every genome region, or even if increased folate or folic acid consumption actually has a direct impact on methylation.4 For these reasons, it is important not to limit oneself to folate alone when attempting to nutritionally bolster DNA methylation.
Thankfully, Ortho Molecular Products Methyl CpG contains all of the B-complex vitamins which are associated with healthy methylation. These powerful ingredients are dosed according to scientific standards and delivered in natural vegetable capsules.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.