- A balanced 29 mg dose of iron as Ferrochel® Ferrous Bisglycinate Chelate.
- Patented amino acid chelate form of reacted iron may enhance bioavailability and gastrointestinal comfort.
- May support healthy energy levels in those with an iron deficiency.
- Often used for prenatal and women’s health purposes.
- Vegetable capsules are formulated to be free of gluten, yeast, artificial colors and flavors.
- 60 servings per container.
Is Reacted Iron Right for Your Body?
Iron can be fairly controversial as far as dietary minerals are concerned. The reason for this is that the body requires a very specific quantity of iron, and can tend to react negatively if iron levels are deficient or in an overabundance. While it can be difficult to walk this line, the rewards are well worth it as iron is one of the most important minerals in the human body.
So, what does iron actually do? Of particularly high importance is its use as a part of hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein which carries oxygen from our lungs to cells and tissues throughout the rest of the body. Essentially, it helps our muscles store and use oxygen. While hemoglobin is particularly important, and tends to get all of the attention in debates over iron supplementation, iron also plays a pivotal role in many other proteins and enzymes, such as ferritin.1 This helps to explain why feelings of fatigue and lightheadedness are so commonly associated with an iron deficiency.
On the other hand of deficiency, excessive iron intake can bring about its fair share of health complications. In particular, it has been associated with increased oxidative stress and gastrointestinal health complications, even potentially leading to the formation of ulcers in the gastrointestinal tract.2 For this reason, those who are interested in iron supplementation as per the recommendation of a healthcare practitioner need to be very cautious. It is important not to continue the consumption of iron supplements unless there is a provable deficiency, typically identified via blood testing. Prolonged stomach cramps are a common symptom of excess iron intake that can serve as a useful warning signal.
That said, those with a distinct and provable iron deficiency often find relief from iron supplements. One study tested the effects of iron supplementation in iron-deficient non-anemic adults. It yielded positive results on serum concentrations on hemoglobin and ferritin.3 That’s why Ortho Molecular Products Reacted Iron has been devised: to provide a gentle and optimally bioavailable iron amino acid chelate for those afflicted with a deficiency.
Given that the most common food source of iron is red meat, vegetarians, vegans, and others who avoid red meat products in their diet are at greater risk of iron deficiency. Heavy menstrual bleeding is another common cause due to the high iron concentrations which reside in the bloodstream. This is one reason that iron supplements are sometimes categorized as women’s health products. Ortho-Molecular is pleased to offer one of the finest iron supplements available on the market.
Storage: Keep container tightly closed. Store at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children.
Note: This product may contain one or more of the following – Calcium Silicate, Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose and Silicon Dioxide.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.