- 500 mg of fractionated marine lipid concentrate per 2 softgel serving.
- An advanced new ingredient for anti-inflammatory support.
- Metagenics provides the highest quality SPMs on the supplement market.
- SPM are metabolites of omega-3 fatty acids and have been proposed to be responsible for the anti-inflammatory actions that are attributed to omega-3 fatty acid-rich diets.
How Do Specialized Pro-Resolving Mediators Work?
Specialized pro-resolving mediators (SPMs) are a class of cell signaling molecules which are enzymatically derived from essential fatty acids. Sounds simple, right?
It’s no wonder that those lacking a degree in biology often find themselves flustered when presented with the literature on this cutting-edge nutraceutical ingredient. When shopping for SPMs, you’ll often see a description like the one above and a number of claims regarding inflammation, but those interested in digestible facts behind the function of SPMs are often left unsatisfied.
So how do SPMs actually work? The answers are not quite as complicated as they might seem on the surface.
SPM and Inflammation
When our bodies experience inflammation, it often means they are protecting us. White blood cells and other similar substances are systematically released to neutralize threats from bacteria, viruses, and other harmful bodily invaders. While too much inflammation can cause serious pain and damage to the body, no inflammation at all would also be very harmful.
This is where SPMs come in: helping the body to achieve a balanced inflammatory response. If inflammation is like a fire used to kill parasites, then think of SPMs as the bucket of water used to kill the flames!
When an immune response is triggered by a pathogen, the body also releases molecules which only recently have been identified and named SPMs. Being derived from fatty acids, these molecules serve as lipid mediators and have been shown to have a distinct anti-inflammatory effect. This means that while the white blood cells and other inflammatory agents are neutralizing pathogens, they themselves are simultaneously being neutralized by SPMs.1
It is becoming clear that SPMs are a natural and highly important factor in both inflammatory response, and anti-inflammatory activity. While these processes happen naturally within the body, it is possible that supplemental SPMs (derived in part from omega-3 fatty acids) may provide enhanced anti-inflammatory support.
Note: This product is non-GMO and gluten free.
Storage: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place. Do not use if safety seal is missing or broken.
Allergen warning: Contains fish (anchovy and sardine).
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.