Benefits of Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine
- Contains antioxidants
- Supports production of the body’s natural antioxidant, glutathione
- Protects cells from damage
- Helps heal and repair damaged cells
- Promotes heart health
Selenium is an important antioxidant. Se-methylselenocysteine (SeMC) is a naturally occurring seleno-amino acid that is synthesized by plants such as garlic and broccoli. SeMC is an organic selenium compound and is more bioabsorbable than other forms.
As an essential cofactor of glutathione peroxidase,2,3 selenium is an important antioxidant.4 Selenium is incorporated into proteins to make selenoproteins, which are important antioxidant enzymes. The antioxidant properties of selenoproteins help prevent cellular damage from free radicals. High doses of vitamin C (over one gram) may enhance the absorption of selenium. This mineral is best taken in conjunction with antioxidant supplements, such as vitamins C or E.5,6
Unlike selenomethionine, which is incorporated into proteins in place of methionine, SeMC is not incorporated into any proteins so it is fully available for the synthesis of selenium-containing enzymes, such as glutathione peroxidase.7
Scientific research and various studies have suggested selenium supports cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.1 People with increased levels of selenium have lower death rates from lung, colorectal, prostate, and other cancers.8 Those studies also point out the incidence of non-melanoma skin cancer is much higher where the selenium soil content is low.3 Taking a 200 mcg selenium supplement may significantly reduce the occurrence and death from all types of cancer.9
Researchers believe the reduced cancer risk may work in two different ways. Selenium is an antioxidant which can help to protect our body from free radical damage. It may also slow or even prevent tumor growth by enhancing immune cell activity and inhibit the development of blood vessels to the tumor.1,10
There appears to be a correlation between lower antioxidant levels and a higher incidence of heart disease.11 Research also suggests free radical damage may actually promote heart disease. Selenium is one of few antioxidants that limit LDL oxidation which may help to prevent coronary artery disease.12
Various research has found that people with reduced selenium blood levels have rheumatoid arthritis.13 The antioxidant properties of selenium may relieve symptoms by controlling the levels of free radicals.1
Another study suggests the organic forms of selenium increased blood levels much greater than than inorganic forms.14 Life Extension’s Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine vegetarian capsules are an organic form of selenium, which appears to be the best choice.1
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container: 90
Amount Per Serving
Selenium (as Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine)
Other Ingredients: rice flour, vegetable cellulose (capsule), ascorbyl palmitate, silica.
Dosage and Use:
- Take onecapsule daily, with food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Office of Dietary Supplements, Dietary Fact Sheet: Selenium
2. Cell Biochem Biophys. 2010 Sep;58(1):1-23.
3. Annu Rev Nutr. 1999;19:1-16.
4. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Jan 15;95(2):98-100.
5. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;80(1):154-62.
6. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2013 Mar 13.
7. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 May;49(5):862-9.
8. Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990 Feb;24(2):109-17.
9. Cancer Res. 2003 Oct 15;63(20):6988-95.
10. Mutat Res. 2004 Jul 13;551(1-2):181-97.
11. J Agric Food Chem. 2001 May;49(5):2679-83.
12. J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Jun;21(3):223-32.
13. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1996;401:179-87.
14. J Nutr. 1998 Nov;128(11):1845-54.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.