The anatomy of the female urinary tract differs greatly from men, resulting in the need for additional nutritional support for women. A wealth of published studies indicates that cranberry polyphenolsmay help to support a healthy urinary tract.73-77
Of particular importance is the flavonoid content of the cranberry, including anthocyanins and proanthocyanidins. These natural compounds exert powerful antioxidant effects that can reduce oxidative stress. Recent clinical data suggest that the proanthocyanidins found only in cranberries also possess unique molecular features that specifically promote urinary system health.78-80
In a significant advance, Life Extension has identified a unique compound available overseas but little-known in the United States that provides a synergistic complement to the whole cranberry’s phytonutrient profile.
UTIRose is derived from Hibiscus sabdariffa, a species native to Europe, Asia, and Africa. Scientific analysis has shown that this species’ flower and calyx (the green floral envelope surrounding the blossom) are rich in active polyphenols, including flavonoids, sambubiosides, and proanthocyanidins.
Of special importance is a flavonoid found in Hibiscus sabdariffa called gossypetin (3,5,7,8,3,’ 4′-hexahydroxy flavone), which has been shown to provide support for urinary system health.81 Life Extension uses a unique, patented process in the manufacture of Optimized Cran-Max® with UTIRose. Each capsule supplies the complete phenolic profile of the whole cranberry plus hibiscus polyphenols in a standardized, highly absorbable, concentrated form.
The suggested dose of one capsule twice daily delivers 500 mg of Cran-Max®, to provide the anthocyanin equivalent of seven 8 oz. glasses of Ocean Spray® Cranberry Juice Cocktail.82
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving|
|Ellirose™ hibiscus extract (flower, calyx) [std. to 45% total phenolics]||100 mg|
|Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon) whole fruit concentrate||250 mg|
|Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable stearate, silica, magnesium hydroxide.|
|This product contains NO: milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.|
Cran-Max® and Bio-Shield® are registered trademarks of Pharmachem Laboratories, Inc. Ellirose™ is a trademark of Naturex, Inc.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule twice daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: Avoid use during pregnancy.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Phytochemical, pharmacological and toxicological aspects of Hibiscus sabdariffa L.: a review.
2. Vaccinium macrocarpon: an interesting option for women with recurrent urinary tract infections and other health benefits.
3. NCCAM: Cranberry
73. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;(2):CD001321.
74. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007 Jun;51(6):732-7.
75. Evid Based Med. 2008 Aug;13(4):105.
76. Phytomedicine. 2008 Sep;15(9):653-67.
77. Phytomedicine. 2007;14(4):237-41.
78. J Med Food. 2009 Apr;12(2):259-70.
79. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2002;42(3 Suppl):273-8.
80. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2007;157(13-14):325-30.
81. The Antiseptic. 2002 Mar; 99(3): 81-2.
82. Cran-Max® versus Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail bioactive comparison. Independent laboratory analysis. Tucson, AZ: Atlas Bioscience, Inc.; 2006.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.