Melatonin is released from the pineal gland, reaching its peak at night to help maintain cell health throughout the body. Secretion of melatonin declines significantly with age as the pineal gland becomes calcified.1,2 Jet lag, shift work, and poor vision can disrupt melatonin cycles.
Melatonin helps keep our circadian cycle in tune.3,4 Not only does this hormone work to maintain cell health, it appears to regulate a system of self-repair and regeneration.5,6 As melatonin diminishes with age, our biological functions are impaired.7,8 Melatonin is considered to have strong antioxidant properties. It is believed to directly scavenge both hydroxyl and peroxyl free radicals, and it does so more effectively than most other antioxidants. It is also thought to greatly potentiate the efficiency of other endogenous and exogenous antioxidants.9 Melatonin may be especially important for protecting cellular DNA against peroxynitrite damage by inhibiting peroxynitrite free radical reactions.10 Some research has found that melatonin increases the speed of falling asleep and adds to the quality of sleep in about 60% of people who use it.11-14
Quiet Sleep® contains melatonin along with sleep-enhancing nutrient cofactors.
Sleep is vital for good health. Quality sleep protects both mental and physical health, quality of life, and safety.15 An analysis of 17 studies shows that melatonin significantly helped people to fall asleep faster, sleep more soundly, and sleep longer than those who took a placebo.16
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
Vitamin C (as niacinamide ascorbate)
Niacin (as niacinamide ascorbate)
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5′ phosphate)
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)
Calcium (as calcium carbonate, calcium citrate)
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide)
Chromium (as ChromeMate® chromium polynicotinate)
Melatonin (immediate release)
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, vegetable stearate, maltodextrin, silica.
ChromeMate®, a patented, biologically active oxygen-coordinated niacin-bound chromium complex, is a registered trademark of Interhealth Nutritionals Inc.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: Consult your healthcare provider before taking this product if you are being treated for a medical condition (especially autoimmune or depressive disorders). Use caution if combining with alcohol. This product is not intended for children, pregnant or lactating women, or women trying to become pregnant. Do not attempt to drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this product.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Exp Gerontol. 2001 Jul;36(7):1083-100.
2. J Pineal Res. 1994 May;16(4):178-83.
3. Free Radic Res. 2002 Dec;36(12):1323-9.
4. J Endocrinol. 1981 Dec;91(3):467-75.
5. Surg Today. 2003;33(12):896-901.
6. Cytobios. 1996;85(340):51-8.
7. Maturitas. 2002 Apr 15;41 Suppl 1:S85-104.
8. Chronobiol Int. 2000 May;17(3):419-32.
9. Aging (Milano). Oct1995;7(5):340-51.
10. Neurotox Res. 2005;7(4):293-318.
11. Sleep. 1996 Jun;19(5):423-31.
12. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1995 May;57(5):552-8.
13. Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2000 Sep-Oct;28(5):325-9.
14. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Feb;68(2):237-41.
15. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Why is Sleep Important?
16. Effects of exogenous melatonin on sleep: a meta-analysis.
17. NIH: Melatonin
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.