Life Extension N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) is the acetylated form of L-cysteine, which is more efficiently absorbed and used because it may protect the cells directly. NAC is an antioxidant and a free radical-scavenging agent that increases intracellular GSH.
L-cysteine is a conditionally essential amino acid, one of only three sulfur-containing amino acids, the others being taurine (which can be produced from L-cysteine) and L-methionine (from which L-cysteine can be produced in the body by a multi-step process). Cysteine plays a role in the sulfation cycle, acting as a sulfur donor in phase II detoxification and as a methyl donor in the conversion of homocysteine to methionine.105,106 Cysteine also helps synthesize glutathione, the body’s most important intracellular antioxidant and a vital detoxifier.107-111
N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) is the acetylated form of L-cysteine that has been used to break up pulmonary and bronchial mucous.112,113 It is very efficiently absorbed and has been shown to protect cells directly and support the immune system.114-122 NAC is an antioxidant and a free radical-scavenging agent that increases intracellular glutathione at the cellular level. NAC can act as a precursor for glutathione synthesis as well as a stimulator of the cytosolic enzymes involved in glutathione regeneration.123 NAC has been shown to protect against oxidative stress-induced neuronal death in cultured granule neurons.124
Serving Size: 1 capsule
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), rice bran extract.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule one to three times daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: Those who supplement with NAC should drink six to eight glasses of water daily to prevent cysteine renal stones. Cysteine renal stones are rare but do occur.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. N-Acetyl-L-cysteine and its derivatives activate a Cl- conductance in epithelial cells.
105. Mol Pathol. 2003 Oct;56(5):270-4.
106. Eur J Hum Genet. 2003 Jan;11(1):23-9.
107. Acta Biochim Pol. 2004;51(2):405-13.
108. Biol Chem. 2009 Mar;390(3):191-214.
109. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2008 Dec;79(12):1106-11.
110. Int J Gen Med. 2011 Jan 25;4:105-13.
111. Cardiovasc Toxicol. 2011 Mar;11(1):1-9.
112. Clin Pharmacokinet1991 Feb; 20(2):123-34
113. Thorax.1991 Jan;46(1):39-42.
114. Blood Purif. 2007;25(4):309-15.
115. Kidney Int. 2007 Aug;72(3):359-63.
116. Kidney Int. 2007 Aug;72(3):231-2.
117. BMC Neurosci. 2007 Dec 6;8:106.
118. Biochem Pharmacol. 2008 Feb 1;75(3):773-80.
119. Environ Health Perspect. 2008 Jan;116(1):26-31.
120. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2008 Aug;18(4):379-88.
121. Altern Med Rev. 2000 Oct;5(5):467-71.
122. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2011 Aug;49(7):643-7.
123. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2007 Aug;7(4):355-9.
124. Cerebellum. 2007 Jan 19:1-7.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.