As people age, systemic inflammation can inflict degenerative effects throughout the body.1-5 A primary cause of this destructive cascade is the production of cell-signaling chemicals known as pro-inflammatory cytokines. Along with these dangerous cytokines, imbalances of hormone-like messengers called prostaglandins and leukotrienes also contribute to inflammatory processes.6-8
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane or dimethylsulfone) is a sulfur-containing molecule found in various plants and some body tissues.72-76 MSM is a vital building block of joints, cartilage, skin, hair and nails. It is a natural and efficient source of the sulfur that is used by many of the body’s structural molecules.76 Some peer-reviewed clinical research in the U.S. has shown MSM is safe and effective in increasing joint comfort and supporting a normal range of motion.77-82
MSM supplementation seems to help reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis, particularly in the knee.9 Clinical trials have shown patients that took MSM had a significant decrease in pain and improved physical function.10,11 Other studies found supplementation decreased muscle damage from exercise.12
Serving Size: 3 capsules
Servings Per Container: 33
Amount Per Serving
Other Ingredients: gelatin, vegetable stearate.
This product contains NO: milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Dosage and Use:
- Take three capsules once or twice daily with or without food, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2007 Apr;4(2):117-22.
2. JAMA. 2004 Feb 11;291(6):704-10.
3. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004 Feb;63(2):200-5.
4. Biol Psychiatry. 2003 Sep 1;54(5):566-72.
5. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2003 Feb;23(1):15-39.
6. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec;1035:104-16. Review.
7. Phys Sportsmed. 2008 Dec;36(1):11-7.
8. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2008 Dec;87(1-4):14-9
9. WebMD: MSM (METHYLSULFONYLMETHANE)
10. Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) in osteoarthritis pain of the knee: a pilot clinical trial.
11. Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled study.
12. Effect of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on exercise – Induced muscle damage and total antioxidant capacity.
72. J Agric Food Chem. 1981 Sep-Oct;29(5):1089-91.
73. J Biol Chem 1940;134:781-2.
74. Arch Biochem Biophys 1966;113:251-2.
75. Toxicol Lett 2001;123:169-177.
76. Altern Med Rev. 2003 Nov;8(4):438-41.
77. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2008 Nov;16(11):1277-88.
78. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2006;14:286-94.
79. Int J Anti-Aging Med 1998;1(1):50.
80. Clin Drug Invest 2004; 24:353-63.
81. Iran J Pharmacol Ther 2004;3:61-5.
82. Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology 69th Annual Meeting, Anaheim, California, April 21-26, 1985:Abstract 692.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.