Melatonin releases from the pineal gland, reaching its peak at night to help maintain healthy cell health throughout the body. Secretion of melatonin declines significantly with age, as the pineal gland becomes calcified.82,83 Jet lag, shift work, and poor vision can disrupt melatonin cycles.
Melatonin keeps our circadian cycle in tune.84,85 Not only does this hormone work to maintain cell health, it appears to regulate a system of self-repair and regeneration.86,87 As melatonin diminishes with age, our biological functions are impaired.88,89 Melatonin also has strong antioxidant properties. It directly scavenges both hydroxyl and peroxyl free radicals, and it does so more effectively than most other antioxidants. It also greatly potentiates the efficiency of other endogenous and exogenous antioxidants.90 Melatonin is especially important for protecting cellular DNA against peroxynitrite damage by inhibiting peroxynitrite free radical reactions.91 Some research has found that melatonin increases the speed of falling asleep and adds to the quality of sleep in about 60% of people who use it.92-95
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian tablet |
Servings Per Container: 100
|Amount Per Serving|
|Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose, aqueous film coating (purified water, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, glycerin), stearic acid, vegetable stearate, croscarmellose sodium, silica.|
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Melatonin is naturally secreted from the pineal gland at night, and should be taken at night for optimal results.
Caution: Consult your healthcare provider before taking this product if you are being treated for a medical condition (especially autoimmune or depressive disorders). Use caution if combining with alcohol. This product is not intended for children, pregnant or lactating women, or women trying to become pregnant. Do not attempt to drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this product.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
82. Exp Gerontol. 2001 Jul;36(7):1083-100.
83. J Pineal Res. 1994 May;16(4):178-83.
84. Free Radic Res. 2002 Dec;36(12):1323-9.
85. J Endocrinol. 1981 Dec;91(3):467-75.
86. Surg Today. 2003;33(12):896-901.
87. Cytobios. 1996;85(340):51-8.
88. Maturitas. 2002 Apr 15;41 Suppl 1:S85-104.
89. Chronobiol Int. 2000 May;17(3):419-32.
90. Aging (Milano). Oct1995;7(5):340-51.
91. Neurotox Res. 2005;7(4):293-318.
92. Sleep. 1996 Jun;19(5):423-31.
93. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1995 May;57(5):552-8.
94. Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2000 Sep-Oct;28(5):325-9.
95. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Feb;68(2):237-41.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.