Melatonin helps to keep our circadian cycle in tune as it communicates with the body’s cells, assisting with sleep, offers strong antioxidant properties, helps to regulate a system of self-repair & regeneration, plus it may directly scavenge both hydroxyl & peroxyl free radicals.
Melatonin releases from the pineal gland, reaching its peak at night to help maintain healthy cell health throughout the body. Secretion of melatonin may decline significantly with age, as the pineal gland becomes calcified.82,83 Jet lag, shift work, and poor vision may disrupt melatonin cycles.
Melatonin keeps our circadian cycle in tune.84,85 Not only does this hormone work to help support cell health, it may also regulate a system of self-repair and regeneration.86,87 As melatonin diminishes with age, our biological functions may be impaired.88,89 Melatonin is also considered having strong antioxidant properties. It may directly scavenge both hydroxyl and peroxyl free radicals, and appears to do so more effectively than most other antioxidants. It may also greatly potentiate the efficiency of other endogenous and exogenous antioxidants.90 Melatonin appears to be especially important for protecting cellular DNA against peroxynitrite damage by inhibiting peroxynitrite free radical reactions.91 Some research suggests that melatonin increases the speed of falling asleep and adds to the quality of sleep in about 60% of people who use it.92-95
|Serving Size: 1 capsule |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving|
|Melatonin||10 mg (3 mg, 1 mg)|
|Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), rice concentrate|
|This product contains NO: milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or corn. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.|
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Melatonin is naturally secreted from the pineal gland at night, and should be taken at night for optimal results.
Caution: Consult your healthcare provider before taking this product if you are being treated for a medical condition (especially autoimmune or depressive disorders). Use caution if combining with alcohol. This product is not intended for children, pregnant or lactating women, or women trying to become pregnant. Do not attempt to drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this product.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. NIH: Melatonin
82. Exp Gerontol. 2001 Jul;36(7):1083-100.
83. J Pineal Res. 1994 May;16(4):178-83.
84. Free Radic Res. 2002 Dec;36(12):1323-9.
85. J Endocrinol. 1981 Dec;91(3):467-75.
86. Surg Today. 2003;33(12):896-901.
87. Cytobios. 1996;85(340):51-8.
88. Maturitas. 2002 Apr 15;41 Suppl 1:S85-104.
89. Chronobiol Int. 2000 May;17(3):419-32.
90. Aging (Milano). Oct1995;7(5):340-51.
91. Neurotox Res. 2005;7(4):293-318.
92. Sleep. 1996 Jun;19(5):423-31.
93. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1995 May;57(5):552-8.
94. Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2000 Sep-Oct;28(5):325-9.
95. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Feb;68(2):237-41.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.