Benfotiamine, a fat-soluble form of vitamin B1 (thiamine), supports healthy blood sugar metabolism and helps protect the body’s tissues against advanced glycation end products and oxidative stress.68 For example, the enzyme transketolase is critical to blood sugar metabolism. Like many enzymes, transketolase requires a co-factor. In this case, it needs assistance from thiamine. Unfortunately, thiamine is water-soluble, which makes it less available to the interior of the cell. Benfotiamine is fat-soluble and can easily penetrate into the inside of cells. It is also more bioavailable than the water-soluble thiamine.
In a landmark study, benfotiamine effectively increased transketolase activity in cell cultures by an astounding 300%, compared to a mere 20% for thiamine. This robust activation was sufficient to block three of the four major metabolic pathways leading to blood vessel damage.68 Benfotiamine also blocks the activation of the transcription factor known as nuclear factor-kappa B (NF-kB), which is implicated in numerous inflammatory conditions.68
Overall, benfotiamine can activate glucose metabolism and promote healthy blood glucose levels in those already within normal range. It can also reduce formation of advanced glycation end products to prevent glucose toxicity and correct endothelial cell defects caused by high concentrations of blood glucose, especially inside endothelial, retinal, kidney and nerve cells. Benfotiamine also helps maintain healthy endothelial function.69-75 Mega Benfotiamine is a low-cost dietary supplement that can help maintain blood sugar levels in those already within normal range and support the health of the nerves, kidneys, eyes, blood vessels, and heart.
Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container: 120
Amount Per Serving
Thiamine (vitamin B1) (as thiamine HCl)
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, rice flour, vegetable stearate, silica. Contains rice.
This product contains NO: milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish (lobster, crab, shrimp), soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, or corn. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one to four capsule(s) daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Benfotiamine blocks three major pathways of hyperglycemic damage and prevents experimental diabetic retinopathy.
2. Benfotiamine counteracts smoking-induced vascular dysfunction in healthy smokers.
3. MedlinePlus: Thiamine
68. Nature Med. 2003 Mar;9(3):294-9.
69. Diabetes Care. 2006 Sep;29(9):2064-71.
70. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:777-83.
71. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Jul-Aug;20(4):330-6.
72. Diabetes. 2003 Aug;52(8):2110-20.
73. Acta Diabetol. 2001;38(3):135-8.
74. Diabetes. 2006 Aug;55(8):2231-7.
75. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun;1043:784-92.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.