Taurine is a conditionally essential, sulfur-containing amino acid produced from cysteine by the body. It is found abundantly in the body, particularly throughout the excitable tissues of the central nervous system, where it is thought to have a regulating influence.170 Taurine can promote optimal blood flow to nervous tissue. It also appears to play an important role in many physiological processes, such as osmoregulation, immunomodulation and bile salt formation.171 Recent studies suggested that taurine might have neuro- and cardioprotective properties and provide protection against oxidative stress.171-174 Taurine is also critical for maintaining cardiac health in certain aging individuals. Dietary taurine may help maintain healthy liver function.175 However, it is deficient in many diets.176-182
Taurine is responsible for several biological functions in the body.5 It helps to fend off cardiomyopathy and is an antioxidant.1 A recent study found that damage to the liver from alcohol consumption may be able to be prevented and reversed by taurine supplementation.2 Scientists have found that it also may support the development and regeneration of the central nervous system. The results of another study showed taurine to help with regeneration of the optic nerve.3 Another human study showed dramatic improvement for patients with congestive heart failure. 86% of the patients that were designated as New York Heart Association functional class III or IV dropped to a class II after treatment with taurine.4
Taurine may also:
- Protect against ischemia reperfusion5
- Modulate intracellular calcium5
- Regulate oxidative stress1
- Protect against hardening of the arteries5
- Lower blood pressure5
- Support inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis6
Serving Size: 1/4 level teaspoon (750 mg)
Servings Per Container: 400
Amount Per Serving
Other Ingredients: none.
This product contains NO: NO milk, egg, fish, peanuts, crustacean shellfish, soybeans, tree nuts, wheat, yeast, gluten, corn, or rice. Contains NO sugar, and no artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, or preservatives.
Dosage and Use:
- Mix 1/4 level teaspoon daily in water or juice, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Physiological roles of taurine in heart and muscle.
2. Effect of taurine on alcoholic liver disease in rats.
3. Taurine and its trophic effects in the retina.
4. Therapy of congestive heart failure with orally administered taurine.
5. The potential health benefits of taurine in cardiovascular disease
6. Taurine and inflammatory diseases.
170. J Biomed Sci. 2010 Aug 24;17 Suppl 1:S1.
171. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006 Nov;9(6):728-33
172. Circulation. 2004 Apr 20;109(15):1877-85.
173. Heart Vessels. 2004 May;19(3):125-31.
174. J Neurosci Res. 2001 Nov 15;66(4):612-9.
175. Amino Acids. 2008 Aug;35(2):469-73.
176. Nutr Hosp. 2002 Nov-Dec;17(6):262-70.
177. Adv Exp Med Biol. 1998;442:463-76.
178. Altern Med Rev. 1998 Apr;3(2):128-36.
179. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 1998 Jan-Feb;22(1):42-8.
180. Am J Dis Child. 1991 Dec;145(12):1401-4.
181. Arch Latinoam Nutr. 1991 Jun;41(2):139-51.
182. Prev Med. 1989 Jan;18(1):79-100.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.