Life Extension Gamma E Tocopherol with Sesame Lignans includes both alpha and gamma forms of vitamin E to help inhibit, trap, and neutralize free radicals. Sesame lignans may significantly enhance the effect by increasing the levels of vitamin C and E.
The term “vitamin E” refers to a family of eight related, lipid-soluble, antioxidant compounds widely present in plants. The tocopherol and tocotrienol subfamilies are each composed of alpha, beta, gamma, and delta fractions having unique biological effects. Different ratios of these compounds are found in different parts of a plant. For example, the green parts of a plant contain mostly alpha tocopherol and the seed germ and bran contain mostly tocotrienols. Along with other nutrients, tocopherols and tocotrienols are concentrated in the bran layers of the rye grain, and are only present at low levels in the flour endosperm. Tocopherols are also present in algae, mint teas, and other foods.88-91
According to a University of California study, alpha tocopherol (regular vitamin E) displaces critically important gamma tocopherol in the body. While alpha tocopherol inhibits free radical production, gamma tocopherol is required to trap and neutralize existing free radicals.120
Prestigious scientific journals have highlighted gamma tocopherol as one of the most critically important forms of vitamin E for those seeking optimal health benefits. In fact, studies show the combination of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol supplementation appears to be superior to either supplementation alone on biomarkers of oxidative stress and on inflammatory factors.121,122
Most commercial vitamin E supplements contain little, if any, gamma tocopherol. They instead rely on alpha tocopherol as the primary ingredient. However, it is gamma tocopherol (not the alpha form) that quenches peroxynitrite, the free radical that plays a major role in the development of age-related decline.123
Sesame Lignans: The Natural Vitamin E Booster
Life Extension has uncovered research suggesting that adding sesame lignans to gamma tocopherol may significantly enhance its beneficial effects.124-126 Sesame and its lignans have been shown to boost antioxidative activity in the tissues by elevating the levels of two antioxidative vitamins, vitamin C and E.127
In a human study that combined gamma tocopherol with sesame lignans, gamma tocopherol/sesame was 25% more effective than gamma tocopherol/tocotrienols in suppressing tissue measurements for free radical and inflammatory damage.128 Since tocotrienols are considered nature’s most potent antioxidants, the fact that low-cost gamma tocopherol with sesame is more effective is a remarkable finding.
Life Extension has fortified the popular Gamma E Tocopherol supplement with standardized sesame lignans. Consumers obtain superior benefits at a much lower cost. This formula provides potent doses of gamma tocopherol along with sesame lignan extract to augment the antioxidant effects of gamma tocopherol.
|Serving Size: 1 softgel |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving|
|Vitamin E (as D-alpha tocopherol)||30.15 mg|
|Gamma E Mixed Tocopherols||360 mg|
|Sesame seed lignan extract||20 mg|
|Other Ingredients: gelatin, glycerin, sunflower oil, purified water, silica, carob color, rosemary extract. |
Dosage and Use:
- Take one softgel once or twice daily with food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Caution: If you are taking anti-coagulant or anti-platelet medications, or have a bleeding disorder, consult your healthcare provider before taking this product.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. MedlinePlus: Vitamin E
2. Sesame lignans enhance antioxidant activity of vitamin E in lipid peroxidation systems.
88. J Am Diet Assoc. 1979 Dec;75(6):647-65.
89. Proc Nutr Soc. 2003 Feb;62(1):117-22.
90. J Chromatogr A. 2004 Oct 29;1054(1-2):227-33.
91. Nahrung. 2004 Feb;48(1):34-7.
120. J Nutr. 1985 Jun;115(6):807-13.
121. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Mar 15;44(6):1203-8.
122. Eur J Nutr. 2008 Oct;47(7):387-92.
123. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1997 Apr 1; 94(7):3217-22.
124. Mol Cell Biochem. 2004 Jul;262(1-2):195-202.
125. J Pharmacol Sci. 2011;115(3):408-16.
126. Biofactors. 2000;11(1-2):11-3.
127. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2007 Oct;53(5):383-92.
128. Life Extension internal study.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.