Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels
- Supports healthy blood pressure
- Helps relieve constipation
- Promotes heart health
- Contains 3 times the amount of olive polyphenols compared to store bought olive oils
Olive oil is a fat used in cooking, it is considered a healthier alternative to solid fats like butter as well as other plant based oils such as canola oil, sunflower oil, and vegetable oil. Olive oil is widely used in Mediterranean diets and a major benefactor in the health benefits associated with Mediterranean diets.
Studies continue to show the health benefits that olive oil and the Mediterranean diet confer, with olive polyphenols playing a huge role in providing these benefits.1 While many olive oils are available and can be found in all types of stores, Life Extension’s extra virgin olive oil provides more than 600 mg/kg of naturally occurring olive polyphenols. That is 3 times the amount found in conventional olive oils!1 The increase in polyphenols allows Life Extension’s olive oil to surpass all others in health support.
The benefits of olive oil also come from its rich profile of monounsaturated fatty acids, the type of fat that is beneficial to health. Olive oil is low in unhealthy saturated fats amd does not contain any cholesterol.2 Fat is necessary as the body needs it to absorb and use fat-soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K. Fat is a dense energy source and helps support growth, brain and nervous system function, skin health, insulation, and works to cushion the organs.3 However, saturated fats trigger the process where the liver produces cholesterol, increasing total cholesterol levels in the body. Monounsaturated fats like those in olive oil instead lower LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol, and increase the production of the “good” HDL cholesterol.
Studies have shown that polyphenols in olive oil, including hydroxytyrosol, can help reduce oxidation of LDL cholesterol, thus helping to protect against atherosclerosis.4 Olive oil polyphenols have also been found to increase HDL cholesterol levels and improve its ability to remove cholesterol from arteries for transport to the liver and eventual elimination through the bile. Adding another layer of cardiovascular support, polyphenol-rich olive oil has been found to improve the function of the endothelium of arteries, increasing release of nitric oxide, which signals blood vessels to relax and helps lower blood pressure. Research also suggests regular intake of high-polyphenol olive oil may help reduce requirements for blood pressure medication.
Health conscious individuals should use extra virgin olive oil whenever possible as part of their daily diet.
|Serving Size: 1 Tbsp (15 mL)
Servings Per Container: about 33
|Amount Per Serving|
Calories from Fat
|Total Carbohydrate||0 g|
|Not a significant source of trans fat, cholesterol, dietary fiber, sugars, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, and iron.|
Dosage and Use:
- This premium, unfiltered oil may naturally settle over time.
- Please store at room temperature in a cool, dark place away from sunlight and heat sources.
- Best if used within 24 months from harvest date.
- Do not purchase if metal seal is broken or damaged.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Cicerale S, Conlan XA, Sinclair AJ, Keast RS. Chemistry and health of olive oil phenolics. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2009;49(3):218-36.
2. Covas MI, Konstantinidou V, Fitó M. Olive oil and cardiovascular health. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2009;54(6):477-82.
3. Lucas L, Russell A, Keast R. Molecular mechanisms of inflammation. Anti-inflammatory benefits of virgin olive oil and the phenolic compound oleocanthal. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):754-68.
4. Buckland G, Gonzalez CA. The role of olive oil in disease prevention: a focus on the recent epidemiological evidence from cohort studies and dietary intervention trials. Br J Nutr. 2015;113 Suppl 2:S94-101.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.