Probiotics reside in the intestinal tract and help digestion by managing harmful bacteria. They also support the immune system, overall gut health, and may prevent an allergic reaction. Life Extension Bifido GI Balance uses the proprietary BB536 strain.
Beneficial bacteria reside in the intestinal tract and aid the digestive process, primarily by keeping harmful bacteria from growing out of control. These beneficial bacteria (also called probiotics) are thought to support immune function and gut health, increase the body’s resistance to infection, and prevent the onset of allergenic response.3-9
Probiotics literally means “for life.” Traditional diets (like the Mediterranean Diet) with foods that contain probiotics have been shown to promote health and longevity.10
Probiotics are thought to facilitate healthy GI and perform many other important functions. For example, researchers have discovered that probiotics help decrease nuclear factor kappa B (NFkB), a pro-inflammatory cytokine, and positively modulate cellular signaling pathways.11
Studies have also shown that probiotics can influence youthful gene expression.12 Properly formulated probiotics provide biologically active materials that can positively influence many aspects of human health.13
70%-80% of immunoglobulin-producing cells reside in the gut which is populated by nearly 100 trillion microorganisms, many of which are beneficial bacteria.12 These bacteria are considered a living part of the human organism.14 With age, we can experience a decline in vital probiotics and the strength of the immune system. Restoring the gut’s friendly bacteria can stimulate and regulate healthy immune function.14
BB536®, a unique well-studied strain of the bifidobacteria probiotic, increases the number of healthy bacteria in the colon.15,159 An in vivo study demonstrated a significant increase in longevity in mice supplemented with bifidobacteria.16 BB536® was also found to reduce production of inflammatory cytokines that often accompany seasonal symptom development.17
Each capsule of Bifido GI Balance provides two billion colony-forming units of viable healthy bacteria.
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Bifidobacterium longum BB536® (supplying 2,000,000,000 CFU†)||25 mg|
|Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), tapioca starch, stearic acid, silica.|
BB536® is a registered trademark of Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd.
†Colony forming units at time of manufacture.
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule once or twice daily, with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. For optimal potency, refrigerate after opening.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. MedlinePlus: Bifidobacteria
3. Postgrad Med. 2009 Mar;121(2):114-8.
4. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 2010, 32 (2); 129-132
5. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2009 Dec;31(10):655-9.
6. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2008 Jul;42 Suppl 2:S58-63. Review.
7. Postgrad Med. 2009 Mar;121(2):119-24.
8. Beneficial Microbes, 2010; 1(1): 31-36
9. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2010 Mar 15;67(6):449-58.
10. Rev Med Suisse. 2009 Mar 25;5(196):662-4,66.
11. Gut Microbes. 2010May-Jun 1(3):148-63
12. Immunobiology. 1992 Feb;184(2-3):157-79.
13. Int J Food Microbiol. 2012 Jan 16;152(3):189-205.
14. Curr Opin Biotechnol. 2011 Nov 30.
15. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009 Dec;49(6):715-20.
16. PLoS One. 2011;6(8):e23652.
17. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2006;16(2):86-93.
159. Lait. 1993;73,249-256.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.