The benefits of plant polyphenols are well known to health enthusiasts. These natural plant constituents block oxidative damage that leads to inflammation and accelerated biological aging of tissues.96
Recent studies by three separate laboratories have concluded that polyphenols extracted from apples extend life span in laboratory models by up to 12%.97
Apples and especially their skin, are rich in an array of polyphenols. One particular major bioactive polyphenol, phloridzin, found in the skin of many apple species, has been shown to act as a powerful agent against glycation and other destructive processes in the body. Phloridzin also regulates cell-to-cell signaling98 and supports healthy glucose levels in those already within normal range by inhibiting the glucose-6-phosphatase enzyme.99,100
Apple polyphenols can slow triglyceride absorption from the intestine by blocking pancreatic lipase, an enzyme specifically required to break down triglyceride fats.101,102
Additional research has shown that apple polyphenols can increase the protective antioxidant molecule, paraoxonase by as much as 23% thereby inhibiting dangerous lipid peroxidation and reducing an inflammatory cascade.103
Along with phloridzin, apples contain chlorogenic acid which supports healthy glucose levels in those already within normal range by inhibiting the glucose-6-phosphatase enzyme,99,100 and by increasing some cellular mechanisms that are stimulated by insulin in liver cells.104
AppleWise Polyphenol Extract is extracted from the highest quality organically grown apples.
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule |
Servings Per Container: 30
|Amount Per Serving|
|Apple (Malus domestica) extract (fruit and skin) [std. to 50% polyphenols (300 mg) and 5% phloridzin (30 mg), from organically grown apples]||600 mg|
|Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (capsule), rice flour, vegetable stearate.|
Dosage and Use:
- Take one capsule one to four times daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Phloridzin reduces blood glucose levels and improves lipids metabolism in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats.
2. Influence of apple polyphenols on inflammatory gene expression.
96. Curr Aging Sci. 2010 Feb;3(1):34-42.
97. Planta Med. 2011 Jan;77(2):122-7.
98. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Nov;45(9):1205-16.
99. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 April 14;58(7):4141-4.
100. Ethnopharmacol. 2010 Jul 6;130(10:93-7.
101. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 May 30;55(11):4604-9.
102. Planta Med. 2011 May;77(8):773-85.
103. Eur J Nutr. 2011 Feb;50(1):53-60.
104. J Nutr Biochem. 2006 Jan;17(1):63-71.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
There are no reviews yet.