5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) is a member of the lipoxy-genase family of enzymes. It transforms fatty acids into leukotrienes. Excess levels of the enzyme 5-LOX sets in motion inflammatory responses that have been linked to common degenerative effects in aging individuals.9-13
Normal aging results in higher-than-desired levels of 5-LOX.
The typical American diet adds to the danger. Foods rich in omega-6 fatty acids like red meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products, along with high-glycemic carbohydrates, trigger overproduction of arachidonic acid. In response to high levels of arachidonic acid, the body produces the 5-LOX enzyme.
5-LOX breaks down arachidonic acid to pro-inflammatory compounds like leukotriene B4,14 a molecule that mediates attacks to joints, arterial walls, and other tissues. 5-LOX itself facilitates undesirable cell division changes.15,16
The good news is that an extract of the Indian plant Boswellia serrata has been shown to neutralize 5-LOX. Used for centuries to help with inflammatory issues, boswellia acts as a natural 5-LOX inhibitor, intervening at the cellular level to block its unwanted effects. Confirmatory data reveal that a compound contained in boswellia called AKBA (3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid)17,18 is the key to its beneficial action.
The problem is that boswellia is poorly absorbed into the blood.19 For this reason, a patent-pending, standardized form of boswellia called ApresFlex is being introduced. ApresFlex absorbs into the blood 52% more than previously available boswellia extracts.19
Each 100 mg vegetarian capsule of 5-LOX Inhibitor with ApresFlex is standardized to provide 20% of active AKBA from boswellia. Most people need only one capsule a day.
*It should be noted that although Life Extension®’s previous 5-LOXIN® formulation contained at least a 30% concentration of AKBA, the new ApresFlex formula delivers more AKBA into the bloodstream, offering greater efficacy at a 20% concentration. One capsule of 5-LOX Inhibitor with ApresFlex supplies the same amount of ApresFlex as four vegetarian capsules of the new ArthroMax with Theaflavins & ApresFlex.
|Serving Size: 1 vegetarian capsule |
Servings Per Container: 60
|Amount Per Serving|
|ApresFlex (Boswellia serrata) extract (gum resin) [std. to 20% 3-O-acetyl-11-keto-ß-boswellic acid (AKBA)]||100 mg|
|Other Ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), silica, vegetable stearate.|
AprèsFlex is a trademark of Laila Nutraceuticals exclusively licensed to PL Thomas – Laila Nutra LLC. International patents pending.
Dosage and Use:
- To inhibit the 5-lipoxygenase enzyme, take one capsule daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- If pregnant, nursing, or taking medication, consult your physician before taking this product
- Keep out of reach of children
- Do not exceed recommended dose
1. Efficacy and tolerability of Boswellia serrata extract in treatment of osteoarthritis of knee–a randomized double blind placebo controlled trial.
2. Boswellia serrata: an overall assessment of in vitro, preclinical, pharmacokinetic and clinical data.
9. Neurobiol Aging. 2007 Sep;28(9):1457-62.
10. Cardiovasc Psychiatry Neurol. 2009;2009:174657.
11. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009 Jul 1;47(1):62-71.
12. Rejuvenation Res. 2009 Feb;12(1):15-24.
13. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm. Accessed July 29, 2011.
14. Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2009 Nov;10(11):1163-72.
15. Carcinogenesis. 2006 Sep;27(9):1902-8.
16. Clin Cancer Res. 2005 Mar 1;11(5):2089-96.
17. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2002;152(15-16):373-8.
18. J Ethnopharmacol. 2006 Sep 19;107(2):249-53.
19. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011 Aug;354(1-2):189-97.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.