- TryptoGold features 500 mg of L-Tryptophan per capsule.
- Known for crossing the blood-brain barrier and potentially providing nutritional support for Serotonin release.
- May aid in healthy appetite, mood, normal sleep patterns, and nervous-system regulations.
- Contains no added gluten, yeast, wheat, soy, milk, dairy products, eggs, nuts, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish, sugar, preservatives, artificial color, or artificial flavor.
- 180 capsules per container – an awesome value!
A Brief History of Tryptophan
For such an important nutrient in the human diet, Tryptophan has only been identified and understood by medical experts for a relatively small amount of time. In the early 1900’s, scientists Cole and Hopkins first isolated the amino acid from casein protein.1 Only a few short years later in 1908 was the molecular structure identified by German scientists, Ellinger and Flamand.2
One of the most noteworthy things about Tryptophan is its status a one of only eight “essential amino acids”. This means that Tryptophan cannot be produced organically in the human body and therefore must be obtained from dietary choices. However, similarly to other Aminos, Tryptophan must be consumed in its activated ‘L-Tryptophan’ form in order to cross the blood brain barrier.3
Understanding TryptoGold & L-Tryptophan Supplementation
So, why might one want to supplement for L-Tryptophan? Given its ‘essential’ status, and the fact that its most popular food sources are animal products (fish, poultry, eggs, and cheese), vegans and vegetarians may be particularly susceptible to a Tryptophan deficiency.
However, that doesn’t explain what the potential nutritional benefits of L-Tryptophan might be. Due to the close relationship between Tryptophan and Serotonin, most people assume that supplementation directly boosts Serotonin levels. This is close to the truth, but it is also a bit of an oversimplification.
In actuality, L-Tryptophan may be converted to 5-HTP which is then converted into Serotonin.4 Given the questionable oral bioavailability of 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan may be the best known method for nutritionally aiding in healthy serotonin release.* Serotonin is a neurotransmitter which is strongly associated with relaxation and sleep.
TryptoGold from Lidtke is one of the most trusted names for L-Tryptophan supplementation.
Storage: Keep lid tightly closed. Keep in a cool, dry place.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product.
- If you are taking any medications (especially MAOIs, Tricyclics, or SSRIs), or have a medical condition, consult your doctor.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.