- 120,000 SU (60 mg) of whole cell Serratiopeptidase, Serratia marcescens (E-15) per capsule.
- Designed primarily for pain and anti-inflammatory support.
- Enerex ensures every capsule is non-GMO, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, and with no phthalate.
- Vegetarian capsules may enhance bioavailability via delayed release.
- 180 complete daily servings per container.
Serrapeptase – Definition, Source & History
Serrapeptase is one of the most unusual enzyme ingredients commonly found in dietary supplements.
Unlike most other enzymes, which are primarily used for digestive support, Serrapeptase is renowned for its potential to help the body cope with pain and inflammation. Another thing which sets Serrapeptase apart from the rest is its very strange and distinct source: silkworms.
To understand Serrapeptase’s organic role in nature, it is necessary to emphasize that silkworms are actually just larval forms of moths. In fact, this enzyme is actually derived from bacteria in the digestive tract of silkworms which assists moths in digesting and dissolving their own cocoons.
While it may sound like the most obscure nutrient you could imagine, Serrapeptase actually has a surprisingly long history of use, particularly in Japan in Europe. It was originally extracted by Japanese researchers in 1967 1, and since then it has been popularly used by large portions of the Japanese population, primarily for supporting a healthy inflammatory response.
Serrapeptase and Inflammation
As a proteolytic enzyme, Serrapeptase’s principal role in the human body is to facilitate the metabolization of protein. However, evidence of the specific molecular mechanisms of its anti-inflammatory properties remains limited.
That said, a 2017 review on the anti-inflammatory properties of Serrapeptase acknowledged the following observed benefits from a variety of studies:
- Reduces capillary permeability induced by histamine, bradykinin, and serotonin.
- Breaks down abnormal exudates and proteins.
- Facilitates the absorption of decomposed products through blood and lymphatics. 2
- Promotes wound healing and repair and restores the skin temperature of the inflamed area, burn or trauma to normal.3
This review also explicitly states that “Serratiopeptidase has been shown to be absorbed from the digestive tract.”4
Note: Store in a cool, dry place. Keep out of reach of children.
- If pregnant, nursing, or undergoing treatment for a medical condition, consult your physician before taking this product.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This Product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.