The Top Pros and Cons of Chelation Therapy
The Pros and Cons of Chelation Therapy
I don’t know about you, but I was raised in a time when the medical industry was booming. Because of this, I was injected with vaccines, had mercury fillings in my teeth, and lived in an era where asbestos was considered safe. I believe my exposure to heavy metals had side effects such as ADD/ADHD and others.
Because of this and my desire to live a healthy life, I researched ways to extract those metals and came across Chelation Therapy. Chelation Therapy is linked to effectively extracting toxins and heavy metals out of the body, and is being looked at to prevent heart disease, or aid in preventing Secondary Cardiac Arrest.
In this article, we will look at the Top Pros and Cons of Chelation Therapy and identify if Chelation Therapy really works.
What is Chelation Therapy?
Chelation Therapy is the administration of chelating agents within the body for their removal. Chelating agents are compounds that can link together to form metal ions and form complex ring-like structures, known as chelates (1).
Why would I try Chelation Therapy?
There are a few reasons to consider Chelation Therapy, especially for its role in reducing Heart Disease. But other notable diseases and ailments that have the potential to be treated by chelation therapy are heavy metal extraction and detox, increased calcium deposits in the arteries, and arsenic toxicity, just to mention a few (2).
Check out this informative Youtube Video to get a clear definition of Chelation.
The Pros and Cons
First, I will identify the cons of Chelation Therapy, as I like to start with the bad news and end with the good.
- One main con to Chelation Therapy is it can be very expensive, costing up to $125 per treatment, and that doesn’t include the physician fees or prescriptions (4). You can safely use Chelators like Liquid EDTA or EDTA Suppositories on your own if you understand how to properly use them.
- There is a safety concern with Chelation Therapy. Chelators like EDTA and DMSA are powerful detoxifers. Safety concerns cycle around burning sensations, a sudden drop in blood pressure, kidney damage, and hypocalcemia (5).
- The American Heart Association does not recommend this treatment for heart disease. However, heart disease is one for the most notable reasons that many people try it (6).
- If performed incorrectly, Side effects can include:
- Upset stomach,
These reported side effects can occur during or directly after treatment (7).
Understanding the Pros of Chelation Therapy
- Chelation Therapy has been linked to treating Heart Disease, Lead, Arsenic, and Mercury poisoning (8).
- Chelation Therapy is an alternative to conventional treatment such as surgery and pharmaceutical prescriptions (9).
- Chelation Therapy can be administered at home, depending on the need for treatment and physician involved (10).
- The FDA has approved EDTA and DMSA to treat heavy metal toxicity, and those are only two of the eleven agents approved thus far that are involved in Chelation Therapy (11).
As noted in Pro #1, Chelation Therapy is especially effective for the detoxification of heavy metals. Keep reading as I discuss how Chelation supports the removal of heavy metals that get stuck in our organs!
How Chelation Therapy Can Detoxify Lead, Arsenic, Mercury and More!
Drinking contaminated water, breathing-in polluted air and ingesting toxic foods are ways heavy metals get into our bodies. As our environment becomes more toxic, Chelation Therapy supports 2 functions in our body:
- Binds heavy metals stuck in our bloodstream and organs
- Escorts them out of our body.
In the next section, I will describe how Chelation Therapy can help you remove these metals:
Chelation Therapy and the Detoxification of Lead
If your home was built before 1978, the paint in your home could contain high levels of Lead.
Lead was the main ingredient to make paint between 1940-1977, the illustration below demonstrates:
Luckily, in 1978 the United States Federal Government issued a nationwide ban to restrict Lead from being used in the production of paint.
While this is good news, there are still 6 ways Lead can get into our bodies:
- Playgrounds next to old neighborhoods
- Sanding and Repainting old homes can send Lead-Heavy Dust Airborne
- China has not banned Lead in Paint – so expect Toys made in China to have a degree of Lead
- Lead is still used to make Lipstick
- Corrosion of Old Paints can send Lead Airborne
- Public Wells next to Industrial Activity Can Be Contaminated with Lead
The last thing you want is lead in your body, here is an image so you can see…
The Scientific Literature on Lead (And How to Remove It)
A 2013 Study published by The Scientific World Journal states, “Toxic metals such as Lead contibute to noncommunicable chronic diseases.”
Organic molecules like Glutathione and EDTA are used in Chelation Therapy to pull Lead of out of our blood and organs. For example, Glutathione goes into the cell and creates a “bond” between itself and Lead. Glutathione then brings the Lead out of the Cell and binds to EDTA for removal.
Before we move onto the next section, it’s important to give you 3 Practical Ways to Remove Lead from your home:
- Schedule a Certified Lead Renovation Firm in your area
- If you live in a Pre-1978 neighborhood and fell unwell, schedule a blood test with your doctor.
- Dull Tasting Water could mean your water is contaminated, be sure to check your local Consumer Confidence Report
Chelation Therapy Can Help Detoxify Arsenic
Arsenic is a heavy metal that can be detrimental to our health, read on to learn how Chelation pulls it out of our bodies…
What is Arsenic?
Arsenic is a metalloid chemical naturally found in groundwater. Living next to a Gold, Silver or Copper Mine are the most common ways for your health to be impacted by Arsenic Toxicity (12).
Common symptoms of Arsenic Poisoning include:
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Darkening Skin
- A Sore Throat that won’t go away
- Tingling of Toes and Fingers
- Chronic Digestive Problems
- Long Spasms of Muscle Cramps
If you live next to Industrial Activity, I highly recommend you schedule an appointment with a Naturopathic Doctor to help you create a custom Arsenic Detoxification Protocol. Glutathione and EDTA supplements can be highly effective for binding and removing Arsenic.
The best way to test for Arsenic Toxicity is through a blood test.
Airborne Particles from Coal-Fired Electrical Plants Send Mercury into the Environment
Mercury in its most toxic form is known as Methylmercury. It presents a serious threat to our health.
Coal-Fired Electrical Plants, burning of trash and smelling are the three ways Methylmercury contaminates our air, soil, and sealife.
Common Symptoms of Methylmercury Poisoning include:
- Chronic Headache and Migraines
- Muscle Twitching and Atrophy
- Decreased Cognitive Functions
- Mood Swings
- Physical and Mental Weakness
- Poor Digestive Health
Glutathione and EDTA are your primary Chelators to pull Methylmercury out of cells and eliminate it through urine and fecal matter. Because the last thing your health needs is this stuff in your system…
Chelation Therapy can also help detoxify Copper, Nickel and Iron!
In the above section, we learned how Chelation Therapy can help detoxify:
But did you know it also supports the removal of these heavy metals?
- Copper – High levels are found in Public Wells located next to Farm Operations, Copper-Based Pesticides and Silver Plated Forks, Knives and Spoons (13)
- Nickel – Touching stainless steel, coins or jewelry in addition to living near a factory where nickle is used or produced (14)
- Iron – Exposure to Industrial Activity increases risk of Iron Toxicity (15)
Preventing buildup of these metals puts our health on the defense in an increasingly toxic environment. If you are concerned your body has become toxic, I highly suggest you make an appointment with your local Naturopathic Doctor today so you can get on the road to recovery with natural supplementation!
Chelation Therapy has been reviewed and tested since 2002 and the studies continue to how it can benefit our health in terms of heavy metal removal. As this treatment gains popularity and additional people discuss success and experiences with this therapy, more and more studies will be completed and an increase in improvement of treatment will occur.
Although there are still reasons to be hesitant with this treatment, I advise you to stick closely to any detoxification protocol and follow any and all advice you receive from your doctor.
If you are looking for a simple yet effective Chelation Therapy, I am a huge fan of the Push-Catch Liver Detox developed by Dr. Christopher Shade at Quicksilver Scientific. This unique protocol uses natural remedies of heavy metal extraction to help clean your liver and open detoxification pathways.
In my opinion, the Pros outweigh the Cons in this situation. If you do decide to take on Chelation Therapy, ask your Naturopathic Doctor about additional natural treatments that will further assist in your experience and recovery. With a combination of Chelation Therapy, an all-natural diet, exercise, and the guidance of your doctor; you may create your own success story.
Thank you for taking the time to read The Top Pros and Cons of Chelation Therapy.
Your success is our passion. If you have any questions or contributions, please contact us via email or phone-call. We are constantly looking for new information to promote wellness – and hearing from you would make our day! Feel free to reach out to our free Health and Wellness Consultation headed by our Certified Health Consultant, Kurt LaCapruccia, D.S.S. (Diploma in Dietary Supplement Science).
Live Vibrantly! – DR Vitamin Solutions