Aging does not have to be synonymous with weight gain, and there are steps to take to fight against this “inevitability.” Everyone knows by now that putting on the extra pounds puts you at risk for numerous health problems, and a good diet and exercise program can help keep you in shape. One of the best ways to tone your body and avoid unnecessary weight gain is by building lean muscle, and this blog will give you a good foundation to build on and feel the best you’ve felt in years!
- Alternate high carb/fat meals – If you’re looking to build lean muscle you want your nutrition program to have a good mix of healthy fats, carbs, and protein. Eat several smaller protein-rich meals a day, and alternate high-carbohydrate meals with high-fat ones. You need to increase your calorie intake, but not with unhealthy foods like donuts, pizza, or fries.
- Eat right – One of the great things about this nutrition program is you have a large selection of real foods that you can eat. This includes grass-fed beef, brown rice, oranges, eggs, quinoa, organic milk, apples, greek yogurt, wheat germ, salmon, shrimp and blueberries, just to name a few.
- Exercise – This is easier if you do physical activity that you enjoy. You’re looking for a minimum of about 30 minutes each day that ideally mixes cardio work with weight lifting.
- Supplement – There’s a reason body builders are always seen with protein shakes or whey drinks. While they aren’t a requirement to gain lean muscle, they will help ensure you are getting the nutrients and calories you need. We have a wide variety of products that can help you, with several forms to make it easy for you as well. If you’re looking for a powder, Pure Life’s Primal-T Testosterone and Nitric Oxide Booster with Argenex-D is a great choice. Not only does it boost your testosterone levels which increases energy, drive, strength, and power, but also lowers cortisol, improves mood, and increases blood flow. If you’re looking for maximum absorption, Zetpil’s Leucine with HMB suppositories is another fine choice. These inhibit muscle loss by increasing protein synthesis, while also building muscle and preserving the muscle while you diet. Prefer capsules? We offer those as well!
- Avoid Alcohol – One of the worst things you can do when you’re trying to get in shape is drink alcohol. Alcohol is high in calories and low in nutrients, and also can increase fat in the abdominal area.
As with any healthy change we make, it won’t always be the easiest to stick with. Our bodies are all different and results will vary. Be encouraged by the gradual changes your body experiences, since this won’t occur overnight. Setting goals and measuring your results every few weeks should act as your motivation to keep going. You’ll not only be healthier, but you’ll also have more energy and look great too!
By David Benic, DR Vitamin Solutions