As summer rapidly approaches and swimsuit season is in full swing, looking our best is at the top of everyone’s list. You may have eaten less, worked out, and gotten your body in the best shape in preparation for this. In the summer rush to achieve your “swimsuit body,” have you neglected your skin? If so, there’s still time, and this article will suggest some of the best foods to keep your skin in tip-top shape to complement the rest of your body!
- Fruits and Vegetables – With any health related list, fruits and vegetables are typically one of the top recommendations, and your skin is no different. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which helps with your body’s production of collagen. Red, orange, and green vegetables all provide their own unique benefits. Cooked tomatoes can act as a sun blocker due to the lycopene that gives them the red color. Spinach and carrots are rich in beta-carotene that helps repair skin cells while slowing cancer cells. Pomegranates are also great for your skin, as they’re full of antioxidants that help regulate your skin’s blood flow.
- Nuts – Almonds and walnuts are just two of the major players in the nut group that are great for your skin. These are rich in antioxidants like vitamin E, which helps protect you from the sun, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, which can help reduce dryness and improve elasticity.
- Green Tea – Green tea has numerous health benefits, and is very high in antioxidants as well. Green tea can help reduce redness, reduce inflammation, and may even help prevent or reduce the risk of skin cancer.
- Seafood – Once again rich with omega-3 fatty acids, seafood is also a great source of zinc. These nutrients help slow the skin’s aging process, provide a healthy glow, and also help with circulation, inflammation, and dryness.
- Healthy Oils – Also rich in fatty acids, these can help keep your skin from drying out. Oils such as safflower oil, extra virgin oils, or others prepared by cold-press or expeller processes would fall into this group.
As you can see, there are numerous natural options that help keep your skin healthy. Depending on what you’re unique situation is will determine which suggestion is most applicable to you. We also offer numerous supplements that could help improve your skins health, including Zetpil’s Neutraceuticals Prasterone, which helps combat the signs of aging such as sun spots, as well as Life Extension’s Enhanced Fernblock with Red Orange Complex which aids in blocking UV rays and acts as an antioxidant. If you’d like to explore these options further, feel free to call or email us. We’re always happy to help!
By David Benic, DR Vitamin Solutions