Ingredients in Supplements to Reverse Gray Hair
“Beauty draws us with a single hair.” -Alexander Pope
Let’s face it – we all can’t age as well as George Clooney! If we had the option, some of us would wish to reverse gray hair. DR Vitamin Solutions has this expert recommendation to provide you with the tools to turn back the clock.
Recap of the Graying Process
The process: Let’s look at how we get gray hair in the first place. Hair color is produced by tiny hair pigment cells within our hair follicles called melanocytes. As we age the melanocyte’s activity gradually declines until they stop making pigment. New hairs grow in without pigment, resulting in gray hair. This is due to the wear and tear on hair follicles which causes a buildup of hydrogen peroxide. This will block the normal synthesis of melanin, your hair’s natural pigment. All hair cells make a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide, but as you age the amount increases. Essentially, you bleach your hair pigment from within, and your hair turns gray and then white.
The problem: Most people would rather reverse gray hair. It is about as well liked as a tooth ache, throbbing headache or upset stomach. The perception is that it makes us look old and that is not entirely the case. If we eat right, exercise and take quality supplements we can maintain a healthy looking appearance.
The potential: According to recent scientific studies, low levels of Catalase in your body can turn your hair gray. Getting a supplement with catalase can be helpful to reverse gray hair. Though it is not 100% guaranteed, it has helped many people. If a person does not have any absorption issues the chances are even better, it can be of help to you. Also, a vitamin B-12 deficiency or problems with your pituitary or thyroid gland can cause premature graying that is reversible if the problem is corrected.
Hydrogen Peroxide: The Surprise Culprit
Hair is naturally colored by oil cells next to the hair follicle . The University of Berkeley published a study demonstrating how hydrogen peroxide gradually washes out the oil cells next to the hair follicle. The absence of these oil cells reduces melanin, the body’s natural pigment that gives eyes, skin, and hair their color. .
What causes your hair to turn grey? Science lists several additional factors causing gray hair. These outside factors encompass lifestyle and dietary regimens from high stress levels to build-ups of bacteria sourced from unhealthy diets. These diets consist of refined sugars, processed food, beached white flours, and/or consistent smoking habits . There was never a better time to find an alternative to Wonder Bread.
There are other factors that can change the pigmentation of hair, making your hair grey. Scientists have divided them by intrinsic (internal) and extrinsic (external) factors:
How to Prevent Gray Hair? Habits to Follow
Designing a diet rich in minerals and whole foods is the safest alternative to reverse gray hair. We have included four simple guidelines to help you design a diet which will fuel your body to detoxify and thrive.
Avoid Refined Sugar
Hydrogen Peroxide levels needs to be decreased to reverse graying. When our system is overrun by refined sugars, systematic infections are prone to occur from candida overgrowth in the gut. Bacterial overgrowth comprises the immune system . Optimizing your system with a natural antibacterial defense such as Oregano Leaf is an effective channel to reduce stress on the thyroid in harmony with a reduction in refined sugar.
Sleep, The Fountain of Youth?
Sleep is king! The Mayo Clinic suggests 7 to 8 hours of sleep for adults and a minimum of 10 hours of sleep for school aged children . The Stanford Center for Longevity published a study in 2017 recommending adults to refrain from all forms of stimulation two hours before sleep . Training yourself to resist the phone or computer for two hours will prove to be difficult.
Ban Processed Foods from Your Diet
Artificial colors and sweeteners do not benefit your health. Soft drinks and processed foods containing Monosodium Glutamate (think chips, sausages, and soups) do not reverse gray hair because of low nutrient density . Fermented foods are a proven solution to reverse graying. Incorporating foods such as Kefir, Kombucha, Sauerkraut, Pickles, Miso, Tempeh, Natto, Kimchi, Raw Cheese, and Yogurt are examples that will fill your gut with good bugs .
Think Twice About Smoking
A study in 2013 showed a significant correlation between smoking and gray hair before the age of 30. As if cigarettes weren’t bad enough already, now they’ll contribute to your gray hair, too!
Can Stress Turn Your Hair Gray
Stress won’t cause you to go gray overnight or anything, but it may reveal itself in your hair. “The majority of gray hair is genetic, but if the person is predisposed to gray hair, stress will make it appear sooner,” said Sandra Gilman, trichologist and educational director for The Elan Center for Trichology in Alabama, in HuffPost.
Of course, working to reduce the level of stress in your life is not the easiest task either. But if you spot some gray strands, then it may be a sign you need to find more relaxation and calmness in your life and remember that white hair stress can be reversible.
DR Vitamin’s “A History in Health”
Did you know the “Anti-Aging Movement” began nearly 100 years ago? Dr. Elie Metchnikoff, the “Father of Immunity,” was a Russian-born biologist who developed a theory that fermented foods, naturally containing probiotics, will reverse the aging process .
Closely monitoring his personal diet largely consisting of fermented foods, Metchnikoff outlived the established norm of his day. Where most males were lucky to reach the age of 40, Metchnikoff lived to 71. Some of the benefits of a diet consisting of Probiotics include:
- Maximum “Full Throttle” Energy
- Increased Flexibility
- Hair Does Not Turn Gray
- Slowed Aging Process
- Healthier Gut
- Thicker, Healthier Hair with a Younger Appearance
Supplements Vs. Salon
Completely opposite to Metchnikoff’s position, the mainstream alternative to gray hair is using hair dye and chemicals. The three main types of chemical coloring have a laundry list of unpronounceable chemicals. These chemicals are possible causes of for bladder, breast and lymphoma cancers. . The three categories of hair dyes include:
- Temporary Dyes- Temporary Dyes are a surface level treatment which do not penetrate the inner follicle of the hair shaft. These dyes are designed to be completely washed-out between one to three washes. Science has not attached inherent danger in relation to these dyes, they are relatively safe.
- Semi-Permanent Dyes- Semi-Permanent dyes span five to ten washes without altering the chemical make-up of the hair follicle. The level of danger increases with these dyes as more chemicals are introduced to promote the longevity of the coloring.
- Permanent Hair Dyes- CHEMICALS GALORE! Permanent Hair Dyes are commonly known as “Coal Tar Dyes.” These dyes are made from petroleum distillates mixed with hydrogen peroxide to create a chemical reaction. Question. If Hydrogen Peroxide washing-out the oil cells is a cause of graying, how could more Hydrogen Peroxide solve this problem?
Science cannot prove or disprove whether Semi-Permanent and Permanent Hair Dyes are a cause of cancer. . The American Cancer Society cites the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) “a conclusion has been reached that workplace exposure as a hairdresser or barber is probably carcinogenic to humans.” The National Toxicology Program (NTP) does not affirm that hair dyes lead to cancer. The NTP has classified certain chemicals used in hair dyes as “reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens.”
Top Supplements to Naturally Restore Hair Color
Supplements and a holistic diet will not fight your genetics but can certainly help fight graying hair. Below is DR Vitamin’s Recommendations to reverse gray hair with a natural and safe approach.
- Argan Oil– Endorsed by Dr. Oz, Argan Oil restores the natural texture of hair . Argan oil is rich in fatty acids, proven to turn back the clock on the appearance of aging. As hydrogen peroxide erodes the essential oils and nutrients moisturizing the scalp, gray hairs will ensue. Additional nutrients proven to be essential in replenishing the scalp with essential oils include Omega 3 Fatty Acid and Vitamin E. To apply Argan oil, simply rinse your hair with a deep cleaning natural shampoo containing Biotin, Coconut Oil and Keratin. Apply a liberal amount of Argan Oil while the hair is damp and allow the oil to sit for a few minutes. Allowing the oil to sit for a few minutes allows the Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Biotin to work together in replenishing your scalp hair with the critical nutrients and essential oils it needs to grow your natural hair color.
- Biotin and Grey Hair– Vitamin H, more commonly known as biotin, is important to hair health. Biotin deficiencies are often associated with premature grey hair. A biotin deficiency can cause hair loss as well as thin, brittle and splitting hairs, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. Even though Vitamin H deficiency is rare it is possible that low levels of biotin in the body might result in hair loss and greying of hair. Some of the functions of this vitamin in the body are production of amino acids and cellular growth. Based on a couple of studies supplementing with biotin (500 mg) can help to reverse gray hair to its natural color. Alternatively, it is possible to increase levels of Vitamin H by eating foods that fight Gray Hair like peanuts, sweet potatoes, almonds, onions, eggs, carrots and tomatoes. Biotin improves the integrity of the keratin infrastructure that composes hair and nails.
- Iron– Iron is also an essential nutrient. In fact, low iron levels have also been linked to the premature graying of hair, as noted in a 2016 study in the Annals of Dermatology.
- Minerals– Our bodies need minerals like a fire needs fuel, providing your body with Mega Multivitamin and Minerals is the fuel it needs to combat premature aging, dry skin, grey hair and constipation. We recommend designing a diet rich in minerals and fermented foods to assist in nourishing and detoxifying your system from free radical toxins and external signs of aging.
- PABA– It is thought that PABA can provide more noticeable results in terms of restoring hair color when greying of hair was caused by deficiency of Vitamin B. Also, it is worthwhile to mention that it can provide better results when used in combination with folic acid (Vitamin B9), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) and Inositol. Since PABA is part of Folic Acid, you can get more of it by supplementing with Vitamin B9 or by eating more foods like molasses, spinach, liver, rice, eggs or mushrooms.
- Pantothenic Acid and Grey Hair– Pantothenic Acid plays a role in the development of hair color. Maintaining proper levels of pantothenic acid can strengthen your hair follicles and their cells. This vitamin contributes to the nourishment of hair follicles, helping them to function properly and promote the growth of your hair. Adding pantothenic acid to the diet in the form of a supplement may reverse graying and/or prevent healthy hair from turning gray.
- Vitamin B5– Vitamin B is your trusty sidekick in your battle to regain the natural color of your hair. Because stress is a leading factor in acquiring gray hair, Vitamin B5 works with Pantothenic Acid to boost your adrenal gland to produce hormones to combat your body’s stress levels. Consuming foods rich in Vitamin B5 is an alternative method to give your adrenal gland the boost it needs to fight stress, these foods include: eggs, avocados, sweet potato, beef, oily fishes such as tuna and salmon, and sunflower seeds.
- Vitamin B6– Also known as Pyridoxine, Vitamin B6 strengthens your body’s ability to properly metabolize protein. It is thought that this vitamin can be beneficial for greying hair, because it plays a role in protein metabolism. To increase Vitamin B6 levels you should eat these foods more constantly or consider taking a supplement containing Pyridoxine.
- Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid and Grey Hair)– Deficiency of Folic Acid is associated with symptoms like slower growing hair as well as hair turning grey. This is mainly because Vitamin B9 metabolize and create new proteins (including Keratin and Melanin), improves tissue growth and function of cells. Deficiency of Folic Acid is more common among individuals who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or take certain medications. In case to prevent hair turning gray due to this vitamin’s deficiency, color of your hair can be reversed once levels of this vitamin in the body are increased. Some good sources of Folic Acid in food are dark green vegetables: spinach, broccoli, asparagus and collards. Additional foods include lentils, citrus fruits (oranges, papaya, grapefruit and etc.), avocado, sunflower seeds, carrots and etc.
- Vitamin B12– A vitamin B12 deficiency can cause prematurely gray hair. How much do you need? The average adult requires about 2.4 micrograms of vitamin B12 each day. Poultry, meat, and dairy foods tend to be a good source of vitamin B12.
- Zinc and Gray Hair– Getting enough Zinc in your diet is crucial. Zinc deficiencies are suspect of causing premature gray hair in at least one study, according to an October 2014 issue of Observation. The National Institute of Health reports eating foods such as oysters and Alaska king crab can ensure you get enough Zinc.
- Catalase– And the last one but one of the most important ingredients found in the best gray hair supplements is catalase. Recent scientific studies have shown that having low levels of catalase in the body can cause hair to turn gray . Hydrogen peroxide cannot be processed when catalase levels are low. The excess hydrogen peroxide bleaches the hair from the inside out, causing it to turn white or gray.
Go Away Gray! – Combat Your Hair Loss and Keep the Color
Scientific studies have shown that low levels of Catalase in the body can turn hair gray, since the hydrogen peroxide isn’t being broken down and this, in turn, essentially bleaches the hair from the inside out. The good news is that Life Vitality Gray Hair Rescind uses Catalase along with other natural ingredients to provide not only gray hair relief, but also promotes your natural hair color as well as a thicker, healthier scalp.
If losing your hair is another problem, we recommend combating this one at its core, which is the shrinking of hair follicles as you age. This is a result of not only age, genetic disposition, and high concentration of DHT, but also sebum build-up. Super-Absorbable Tocotrienols from Life Extension is a natural supplement that combats these weakening agents and promotes your hair growth, health, and density, which was evidenced in a study of 30 volunteers who were given tocotrienol supplements for eight months and nearly all of them showed a significant improvement in thickness and density.
Introduction to Catalase, Gray Hair and Premature Graying
Hair color is produced by tiny hair pigment cells within our hair follicles called melanocytes. As we age, the activity of these melanocytes gradually declines until they stop making pigment. New hairs grown in without pigment, resulting in gray hair.
Free radicals which can cause oxidative stress plays a big role in the aging process. “Reactive oxygen species or free radicals are highly reactive molecules that can directly damage cellular structural membranes, lipids, proteins, and DNA.” (1) This process is more of a problem as we age. “With age, the production of free radicals increases, while the endogenous defense mechanisms decrease. This imbalance leads to the progressive damage of cellular structures, presumably resulting in the ageing phenotype.” (1) The best way to protect against oxidative stress is increasing glutathione levels.
Sometimes people will experience premature gray hair in their younger years. “Premature canities (grayness or whiteness of hair) may occur alone as an autosomal dominant condition or in association with various autoimmune or premature aging syndromes.” (2)
Catalase is Important
Catalase can be very helpful with gray hair and it is the key ingredient in the Gray Hair Rescind from Life Vitality. Eating foods rich in catalase can be helpful. “By eating foods high in catalase such as garlic, onions, cauliflower, potatoes, broccoli, kale and cabbage, we introduce this gray hair-fighting enzyme back into our bodies, resulting in the gradual return of our youthful hair pigmentation through a safe, all-natural process.” (3) The highest dose of catalase in Rejuvelon Suppositories is a powerful solution. Suppositories give the best absorption you can get in supplement form. If you want to deal naturally with trying to get rid of your gray hair then you should seriously consider using catalase.
An unfortunate part of the aging process for millions of people involves not only losing their hair color to a boring gray shade, but also losing their hair all together. Many products and peculiar natural remedies have popped up as a result, promising a natural alternative that works. These include claims like mixing onion juice and lemon juice and rubbing it on your head daily to combat gray hair. We owe it to ourselves to pursue remedies that not only work, but also don’t leave your head smelling funny for several hours after you finish. Fortunately, there are supplements like Gray Hair Rescind that offer relief for both men and women who are looking to combat gray hair and hair loss.
Discover the Power of Catalase
Hopefully you aren’t faced with either of these premature grey hair problems, but if you are, we hope you’ve found this blog helpful and you can successfully reverse gray hair, as well as combat the hair loss that you’ve been the unfortunate victim of. As always, if you have any specific questions or concerns, we at DR Vitamin Solutions would be happy to help!
Thank you for taking the time to read Ingredients in Supplements to Reverse Gray Hair.
Your success is our passion. If you have any questions or contributions, please contact us via email or phone-call. We are constantly looking for new information to promote wellness – and hearing from you would make our day! Feel free to reach out to our free Health and Wellness Consultation headed by our Certified Health Consultant, Kurt LaCapruccia, D.S.S. (Diploma in Dietary Supplement Science).
Live Vibrantly! – DR Vitamin Solutions
P.S.- At the end of the day, we are health-nerds here at DR Vitamin Solutions. We recommend you discover our Gray Hair Rescind as your all-in-one supplement to strengthen your digestive system with the power of Catalase! Or browse the DR Vitamin Probiotics Store for all your good-bug needs.
- Mackowiak, Philip A. Recycling Metchnikoff: Probiotics, the Intestinal Microbiome and the Quest for Long Life. 13 Nov. 2013, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3859987/. Accessed 18 Apr. 2018.
- Gordon S. Elie Metchnikoff: father of natural immunity. Eur J Immunol. 2008Dec;38(12):3257-64. doi: 10.1002/eji.200838855. PubMed PMID: 19039772.
- “Hair Dyes.” American Cancer Society, cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/hair-dyes.html.
- “The Real Cause of Gray Hair (and What It Means for Your Health).” Mercola.com, 19 Mar. 2016, articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/19/what-causes-gray-hair.aspx.
- Fox 35 News. “Gray Hair Fact vs. Fiction with Dr. Oz.” YouTube. February 26, 2015. Accessed April 19, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wrqbq2f9o.
- Boldt, Ethan. “Stop the Sugar Cravings and the Fuzzy Thinking!” Dr. Axe. April 05, 2018. Accessed April 19, 2018. https://draxe.com/candida-symptoms/.
- “Can Lack of Sleep Make You Sick?” Mayo Clinic. June 09, 2015. Accessed April 19, 2018. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/expert-answers/lack-of-sleep/faq-20057757.
- stanford.edu. Accessed April 19, 2018. http://longevity.stanford.edu/2017/02/16/the-sleep-cure-the-fountain-of-youth-may-be-closer-than-you-ever-thought/.
- “Gray Hair: Causes, Remedies, and How to Embrace Your Gray.” @berkeleywellness. Accessed April 23, 2018. http://www.berkeleywellness.com/article/gray-hair-untangling-fact-fiction.
- 7 Foods That Cause Grey Hair. (2016, September 08). Retrieved from http://thescienceofeating.com/2016/04/02/7-foods-that-cause-grey-hair/
- Babcock, C. (2017, October 09). 10 Healthiest Fermented Foods & Vegetables. Retrieved from https://draxe.com/fermented-foods/
- Dias, M. F. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/
- The real cause of gray hair (and what it means for your health). (n.d.). Retrieved from https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/03/19/what-causes-gray-hair.aspx