With the holidays fast approaching, I am always on the lookout for a dessert that won’t hurt, if you know what I mean. It has to be a healthy one, that my kids and husband will enjoy. Not to mention, it should be easy to make for a quick get-together with family or friends, since I always wait until the last minute to prepare something!
This raw chocolate pudding recipe is vegan, aka dairy free. It is the perfect no fuss dessert that can easily be turned into something fancy by adding berries or chocolate shavings. Serve in small delicate mousse cups or even fancy holiday mugs for the perfect presentation. Its so healthy, that you can eat this stuff for breakfast and not feel guilty!
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 6 medium sized avocados
- 1/4 cup. of hemp nuts
- 1/2 cup of raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp pure alcohol free vanilla
- 12 drops of liquid stevia
- 2 Tbsp of raw agave syrup (more or less to your taste)
- a pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1 1/4 – 2 1/2 cups of almond or coconut milk, whichever you prefer. You could even go with a heavier coconut cream, for a thicker and creamier consistency!
- Place all ingredients into a strong blender or food processor and combine until creamy and silky smooth. Scrape the sides down to incorporate all of the avocado.
- Add in the almond or coconut milk a little bit at a time, until you reach the consistency that you want.
- You can chill this mixture in the fridge, or serve immediately. If you have company on the way, pour into serving cups before refrigeration for a smoother appearance. Don’t let the plastic wrap touch the tops! Sprinkle crushed cacao nibs, or berries onto the top before serving!
Try your own substitutions or additions to make this pudding your own:
- Substitute bananas for the avocados! You may want to back down on the sweeteners (stevia and agave) with this substitution, as bananas have a lot of natural sugar in them.
- Add in some raw peanut butter for added protein and flavor.
- Stir in some cinnamon.
- Top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. If you want a healthier whipped topping, try making your own out of coconut cream!
By Colleen Moriarty, DR Vitamin Solutions